Unstoppable flashing "Unknown command" error during gameplay
issueid=4668 01-12-2017 08:37 PM
Number of reported issues by geekyadam: 1

The game loads fine but there seems to be some button being spammed during the game, and the button seems to be 'Enter' as when I try to enter a character name it takes the first letter I press as the full name. I made a gif capture to show the issue visually (watch the name enter screen and when the overworld map loads notice the flashing "Unknown command" error):

In that gif, I press 'P' to play, then 'C' to get past the license/version info, then 'S' to start new tutorial game, then 'Space', then I type a single letter 'A' (without pressing Enter but it immediately accepts my input as if I had pressed 'A' then Enter), then 'Z' to remove the tutorial box. When you see the "Unknown command" error flashing at the top I'm not pressing any buttons. I am able to move around and the game plays technically, however I don't see any status messages in the upper-left corner, as the "Unknown command" error won't stop flashing, as if I was holding down an unmapped button the entire time. It seems as if there is an unmapped button held down but I'm sure there isn't. After I quit out, I just press 'asdfasdf' then delete it with 'Backspace' to show that Enter or other keyboard buttons are not being held down. I've ran adom on my Linux server for awhile now and just today it started doing this.

Debug info:
- experienced on two different Ubuntu servers
- I'm using cygwin terminal to SSH to the Ubuntu servers
- adom version r60

What I've tried so far:
- tried both cygwin and putty to SSH to my servers - both have same results; game loads fine as always but the button spamming thing won't go away
- downloaded Windows version of the game and ran it natively on my Windows laptop and it ran fine with no issues
- completely removed .adom-data/ directory and re-ran adom with no configuration files - same issue persists

At this point, I cannot get adom to work normally in linux anymore for some reason. This used to work fine but today it started doing that weird thing. Also, I have no confirmation that there is any kind of "button spamming or held down", that's just what it visually looks like is happening. Furthermore, I should mention that I got to a point where a "(more)" prompt comes up, which is normally passed by pressing the 'Enter' key, but the prompt did not go away on its own, which proves that my SSH client is not spamming the 'Enter' key. I was able to press Enter and the game handled it normally - the "(more)" prompt went away and continued displaying text...however I didn't see the remaining text because that "Unknown command" error immediately began flashing at the top again.
Issue Details
Issue Number 4668
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Linux
Status Duplicate
Priority 5 - Medium
Affected Version ADOM r60
Fixed Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 3
Users unable to reproduce bug 1
Assigned Users jt
Tags (none)

07-17-2017 01:48 AM
Issue Changed by isenegar