Attributes problem with Paladin class
issueid=3067 06-11-2014 06:11 AM
Number of reported issues by Dan'Ao'S: 1
Attributes problem with Paladin class

I don't know if it is only connected with the Paladin class, but when I try to raise my attributes by the potions, for example: blessed potion of gain strength gives me 7 points up, and after a couple hundred of turn they all just vanish, and I'm left with my stat before drinking this potion.
The problem occured with drakish paladin 15 lvl with 22 strength, raised to 29, then backed again to 22.
The same has happened with my dwarf paladin 17 lvl, when I was trying to raise my strength through potion, mining, eating ogres/giants corpses and also throught the training with Garth (I paid 30k gold), and it didn't work. Walking "strained!" about an 4 hours gameplay didn't work - my strength with that combination of race/class - and they NEVER raised my strength skill, but all the drop downs works well (vampire and vile demon attacks for instance).

All other attributes training were working just fine, so I wonder why is all about the strength problem.
I'm pretty new to ADOM, so if this is a common issue/gameplay challenge I'll understand, but it's pretty damn unfair if u were attacked by a vampire and your stat went down by 7 point and even then you can't raise it again even by one point.

Please, let me know if I'm just wrong or is it a real serious issue.
Issue Details
Issue Number 3067
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Windows XP
Status Not a Bug
Priority 1 - Highest
Affected Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 23
Fixed Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 0
Users unable to reproduce bug 1
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

06-11-2014 07:14 AM
There is no potion of gain strength... do you mean potion of boost strength? Those are intended to be just temporary and act just the way you described. Potion of strength is permanent and only gives 1 or 2 points depending on blessed status. I'm not sure about the walking around strained! part or training with garth though. One thing I know is in the latest prerelease it was changed so training with garth, using herbs and eating corpses won't increase an attribute that's already at it's potential. I'm not sure how long you've played adom but it's much different behavior than 1.1.1 or even the last few prereleases.

06-11-2014 08:38 AM
Ancient Member
I've been playing a dark elven paladin recently and I'm almost finished. I haven't noticed any strange/buggy strength related behavior.

Blessed potions of strength increase strength by 2 points permanently, uncursed potions by 1.
Potions of boost strength give a temporary increase between 5-7 points (roughly) and it returns to normal point by point in a time scope of several dozen turns.
Potions of potential strength as the name implies, increase strength potential but after ~20 strength they are sort of useless.
I've seen very few random strength increases after 20, possibly in the late game where they are irrelevant due to many items granting strength bonuses and guaranteed potions of gain attributes putting stats into their 30ies.

Apparently in the current pre23, it's very difficult to train strength over 15 using "very strained" method.
It used to be possible to do this all the way to 18 before and even 20 with overburdened if you don't mind simultaneous dexterity abuse.
The chance of increasing strength by eating giant/ogre corpses decreases the more strength you have and it's almost impossible to get increases from those after ~20 strength.
Other than that, Garth and his training is still a viable but not very effective method, since it requires serious amounts of gold as training progress and doesn't guarantee increases.

Finally, vampires are powerful undead. They should not be fought in melee if you don't have at least 20 PV and maybe ~30ish DV.
This reduces the number of potentially draining hits and prevents landing hits from doing too much damage.
Outside of CoC graveyard, vampires are mostly treated as out-of-depth monsters, with appropriate rarity.
There's enough near-guaranteed sources of undead slaying, including fireball wands, blessed weapons that deal 1.5x damage to undead and missiles to shoot them.
Typically when I encounter vampires, I can take them in melee but on rare occasions where my PV is insufficient, I will avoid melee at all costs exactly because of strength and toughness drains.

06-11-2014 02:37 PM
Yes, this was the potion of boost strength, giving temporary boost, and I just didn't noticed.
I'm playing ADOM for a month, so I was just curious and I thought that this must be some kind of a bug, 'cause I've been training other attributes and it wasn't that hard (well, it's really challenging the way it is now).

I've had some random strength increases'decreases too, not sure why was that, but I've could miss some reasons for that.

Thank You guys for comprehensive explanation.

06-26-2014 08:55 PM
The Creator
Misunderstanding.

+ Reply