Rusty items in another color
issueid=2533 12-08-2013 02:03 PM
Number of reported issues by Black Mantis: 13
Rusty items in another color
Flavor?

It might make sense for rusty items to appear in the color brown. I refer here to the item symbols when they're on the floor, not to their description text in the inventory.

EDIT: Aesthetically red or dark red seems much more popular a choice than brown. And I concede the point -- to further differentiate from common wooden/leather items.
Issue Details
Issue Number 2533
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 8
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 21
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 10
Votes against this feature 3
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

12-08-2013 08:18 PM
This would just be confusing for players. We already rely on item color for quick ballpark identification - this would make it harder.

12-09-2013 08:05 AM
items already change color in some special cases, most notably when in water.

12-09-2013 08:33 AM
Ancient Member
If anything, rusty items should be light red (or orange?) - the same color as a rusty potion (which is the same a copper-hewn girdle). As there are no weapons of this color, this won't hurt visual identification.

12-09-2013 09:18 AM
Ancient Member
Provided you don't use brown (which is used pretty much across the board for wood, on weapons especially, or leather) I don't think there is much potential for confusion here - as soon as you step on the item, it's described as "rusty", so it's clear where the coloring comes from. Like Ln I would favor the game's "official" color for rust; that of the rust monster.

12-09-2013 09:35 AM
Edited in consideration of feedback provided. Thanks all for the input. :)

12-10-2013 03:37 AM
Ancient Member
Yep, as long as it isn't a commonly used color already, it should be fine - I quite like it. Precedent also exists in certain prefixed weapons, so it makes perfect sense.

03-22-2014 08:09 PM
Hmm, I think that if this is ever implemented the color of rust could be configurated On/Off with a the ":=" option command with something like Rust_Color = True/False, for those who want to avoid confusion.

+ Reply