Dark Elf Skin Incorrect in NotEye
issueid=2487 11-19-2013 05:45 PM
Number of reported issues by Wigdaddy: 12
Dark Elf Skin Incorrect in NotEye
Skin tone does not match game monster descriptions.

The Adom Manual and monster memory both specify that Dark Elves have black or dark skin and white hair, but the NotEye interface shows them with light tan skin.

The hair's been fixed since this originally posted, but the skin is now even lighter than before.

I do have an idea for a fix, but this is not mandatory: Inverting the original tiles yields the correct colors.

I think that looks really good, but if that method is for any reason difficult to implement then whatever gets the bug fixed is all that counts — this is not an RFE.

At this point just changing the skin to black or dark blue would probably also do the trick.

Thanks,

Benjamin Keller
Issue Details
Issue Number 2487
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All with NotEye
Status Fixed
Priority 5 - Medium
Affected Version ADOM r61
Fixed Version ADOM r64 (v2.0.3)
Milestone Potential work pipeline
Users able to reproduce bug 4
Users unable to reproduce bug 1
Assigned Users Ravenmore
Tags (none)

11-24-2014 07:49 PM
Been over a year and no response. What gives? I mean, this might not be the highest priority bug in the universe, but I think it makes a difference. The depth to which dark elves have been developed is one of the cooler aspects of ADOM, imho.

01-02-2015 11:56 AM
I have to agree actually. It's not a high priority bug and is quite obviously an artistic choice in the creation of player avatars, but, I would say that by full release either the sprite should be recoloured or the manual altered to allow for dark elves with a range of darker hair tones and less strikingly black skin. There should definitely be consistency in the race and sprite appearances in the final version, whatever decision is made.

01-03-2015 03:53 PM
Ancient Member
RFE tickets are like good wine. I like mine to mature in a cozy cellar for about a year, until they are ripe for implementation.

Nah, just trolling :) Dark Elves now have white hair, can be marked as fixed.

This petition for a change to In Progress was accepted
06-02-2015 03:27 PM
It's not an RFE, it's a bug, Mr. RavenTroll. ;)

Both the manual and several of the monster descriptions specifically list the Dark Elves as having either dark or black skin and light hair. It's not a request for enhancement to ask that the display be corrected to match the actual description in the game. I made what I still think is a decent suggestion as to how this could be done, sure, but this is still a bug report.

While the hair is indeed lighter now, the skin is, if anything, lighter than it was before:

Drizzt Do'Urden would not be pleased at this blatant whitewashing of his proud and ancient race. :)

06-02-2015 04:39 PM
Anybody want to weigh in on my suggestion for the fix? I still think inverting the original tiles would be cool as hell.

Which do ya'll like better? :)

or ?

11-17-2015 05:23 PM
I don't think inverting the image is the answer. But I agree, it'd be nice for the hair to be lightened a bit more and the skin to be darkened down. Skintone variation in games - always a good thing!

11-17-2015 05:37 PM
Thanks for supporting the cause.

I've been a member of this community for nearly two decades. My name appears in the credits of the game in three places. I'm the guy who introduced the Song of the Mad Minstrel, and got the potion of speed renamed to the potion of quickling blood, among many other things.

I do know my voice isn't going to be heard as loudly now that the game is so successful and so many more people are involved.

Checking in on this little bug every once in a while has become a sort of pet project for me over the last couple of years. It would be great to see one more little thing of mine get implemented in the game I love, even if it's just a small bug fix. :)

11-17-2015 05:41 PM

11-17-2015 05:50 PM
There should be other potential solutions to this issue than the proposed one of simply inverting the sprite. While you've got the correct colour scheme going there, it's going to stand out from the rest of ADOM's new, beautifully rendered graphics like a sore thumb due to the glowing white outlines and there would probably be layering issues with the shadows and so forth that viewing changes to the sprite alone can't easily replicate.

More pointedly, the art has already been recoloured once. As an artist myself I appreciate how much hassle that can be, but it also means that direct recolours -are- possible, and so remedying this would be a matter of a few work hours at most; inversion isn't necessary if the art team are willing to refine it once again instead.

I'd like to take this opportunity to say that I greatly appreciate the changes which have already been made to the Dark Elf sprite so far, and that it's significantly better-looking now as well as more accurate to in-game lore. It would benefit from some further alteration in my opinion but what has been done already is brilliant progress.

[ADOM is simply much larger now with a far more connected player base. Even people who've been playing for over a decade (like myself, and like you) are going to find it harder to get our voices heard as the crowd grows larger and larger, but venting that frustration on the same thread that you're trying to draw attention to for positive change is going to have the negative result that your issue will seem less serious in response - which is a shame because frankly, this WOULD be a very welcome change.] It sounds like some of your ideas have been absolutely incredible, but still - don't assume that Thomas isn't listening. In my experience so far he's doing an absolutely sterling job especially given the number of bugs and RFEs reported daily! [Edits above render this section obsolete.]

11-17-2015 06:32 PM
Thanks for your words, Kelibath. Sorry, I didn't think it would come off as venting. I'll make some edits to tone it down a bit. Y'all are my people, the last thing I want to do is offend anyone here.

I know that Thomas is listening. He's just not as directly accessible as he used to be. Which is only natural, given his success. You'll have to forgive a middle-aged man for missing the good ol' days.

I'm not tied to the mast of inverting the tiles — I just thought it looked cool and that maybe others might agree. If it's not practical, I'm happy with whatever fix makes the dark elves look as they're described.

11-17-2015 06:46 PM
Ta very much - and I apologise for having called you on it. I'm not trying to belittle your idea but you were coming over as being firmly and angrily tied to that single solution, before.
But we COMPLETELY agree on a solution being desirable!

I personally poke Thomas on Facebook if I really need something but I don't suggest everyone do that. ;)
This is a tough issue as it involves the efforts and attention of multiple creative team members to resolve but it does seem to be listed as under review. If you can't get an answer in another couple of weeks, maybe try sending a private message.

For my part I am fairly happy with the changes the art team have already made, but as said before, lighter hair and darker skin by a few more shades each way would be preferable.

11-17-2015 06:49 PM
Ancient Member
I'm not getting the feeling that anyone is ignoring anyone, just that bugs come before RFEs. Especially at launch, first impressions count and attention will be on stomping out any showstoppers. We'll see what happens when the devs can finally turn their attention to the pile-up of improvement suggestions...

11-17-2015 06:51 PM
It's not an RFE. The tiles don't match the monster descriptions.

Ravenmore thought it was an RFE too. I think, as you suggest, that's maybe why this issue hasn't gotten any traction.

I think the reason it's perceived as an RFE is because I suggested a specific fix. It made it look like an RFE when it is not.

Inverting the tiles is just one idea as to how to fix the bug. Like I said above, I'm happy with any solution that fixes the problem.

And don't worry — I'm not feeling ignored. My participation in this forum is much more limited than it used to be. If I wanted more attention I'd probably post a bit more, and then my member status would actually match my longevity. :)

11-17-2015 06:56 PM
This issue is listed as a bug rather than an RFE.
In actuality, it's somewhere between a bug and an RFE, because while it doesn't prevent gameplay it is also unfair to describe this as a request for additional functionality.

This is a call for content that would enhance the experience of the game and -should- already be incorporated within the game - whose previous absence was a breach in suspension of disbelief for anyone that actually read the manual or cared about the world-building behind the Drakalor Chain. It will not negatively impact upon players in the same way as the art being missing would do (for example) but it does make a difference.

It's as if the art for Ancient Red Dragons had accidentally been rendered in purple. With the recent Dark Elf art fix, that purple has been effectively changed to a much more palatable maroon - but it's still not -quite- red yet.

11-17-2015 07:00 PM
Exactly, though I'd still say it's just a bug. Errors in the display count as bugs, and asking to have them fixed isn't a request for enhancement. It doesn't have to break the game to be a bug.

11-17-2015 07:04 PM
I'd call it an inconsistency rather than an error but.. semantics..

Anyway, this issue has already been marked as 'Fixed' and I think that's inappropriate if the person who brought it up disagrees and sees the change as only a partial improvement.
I'd like to call for it to be reopened for assessment, since even if it's seen as an RFE, and even if it's determined to have been fixed a second time afterward, it's not going to be paid any decent attention with 'Fixed' right there in the thread descriptor.

11-17-2015 07:10 PM
Agreed, and thank you. I put in a petition to have the status changed back to "In Progress" about 6 months ago. Are you in a position to do the same, Kelibath, or can only the OP do that?

11-17-2015 07:12 PM
I have absolutely no idea, having only lightly used these forums as I don't tend to find many unsubmitted bugs myself.
What I did do was message previous respondent Ravenmore to let them know there's a call for it to be reopened and that I felt it was a reasonable request.

11-17-2015 07:16 PM
Wow, thanks. I see a little drop-down menu at the bottom of the Quick Reply window labeled "Petition for status change to". But maybe that's just because I'm the original poster, I don't know.

This petition for a change to In Progress was accepted
11-17-2015 07:18 PM
I'll give it a try. It would be nice for the thread to be reopened and to remain open until readdressed, or at least to have a final word from one of the team if it isn't going to be changed any further. This would give everyone who cares about the issue confidence and patience in the matter being looked at when possible (what auricbond seems to be calling for) rather than fear it'll just fall through the cracks.

+ Reply