Make chance of evading wilderness encounters much more reasonable
issueid=3744 07-03-2015 07:26 AM
Number of reported issues by gr3ybird: 16
Make chance of evading wilderness encounters much more reasonable
It's way too low right now

My level 31 dark elven assassin with 65 dexterity, speed of 180, wearing blessed 7lb, and a stealth skill of 100 can't evade a wilderness encounter with outlaws. he had executor equipped, but he was also blessed and had fate smiles on him (also both through items). This is a definite pattern, and it is just annoying. Pc's who can escape without the monsters having even a remote chance of laying a hand on them and or that could totally anhillate them without breaking a sweat still get forced into an encounter. This is pointless and annoying.

Make the chance to escape depend much more strongly on dex/stealth/speed/level.

EDIT: Same thing happened again, but lv 33 with a group of lost souls, 75 dex and 175 speed (I was strained, but if my dex and speed were that high after penalties from what I was carrying, why should that matter. Again, this is 175 SPEED and 75 DEX). Once more, this is a distinct pattern, not a one time things.

Even if my speed had been 90, I could have killed every monster in this encounter without them even damaging me. I would have effortlessly splattered them. Something needs to change here.

I feel basically the same way about how easily it is to trigger traps the pc already knows are there (a lot of high dex pcs fall in pits that they have already noticed) or how hard it is to hit monsters when under total stealth (a lot of times you repeatedly stab at monsters that do not react to your presence at all, even though you attempting multiple times to slit their throats, making the pc look like a clumsy fool).
Issue Details
Issue Number 3744
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version ADOM r58
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone Potential work pipeline
Votes for this feature 6
Votes against this feature 2
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

07-03-2015 08:52 AM
Ancient Member
Actually invisibility affects evasion rate the most.
Invisible chars will virtually never have to engage.
Still, I think char like yours, with max stealth, plenty of dx and speed should likewise be able to evade 99% of random encounters in wilderness.

07-03-2015 09:25 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous
Actually invisibility affects evasion rate the most.
Invisible chars will virtually never have to engage.
Still, I think char like yours, with max stealth, plenty of dx and speed should likewise be able to evade 99% of random encounters in wilderness.
Another important point: I can't emphasize enough how completely trivial these encounters were. The enemy combatants would never have even been able to damage me at all, and would have died in one hit every time. If monster groups could be instakilled by the pc with complete certainty, these monsters should never engage them.

07-03-2015 04:03 PM
Ancient Member
I don't think speed and Dx affect wilderness encounters. Survival, stealth, invis and luck seem to have the biggest effects.

07-05-2015 06:41 AM
Ancient Member
Here's exactly how evading wilderness encounters works, according to sorear's notes. Note also that Curse/Doom status has an effect on ambushes that is not offset by luck (in fact, there does not appear to be a luck check at all, so Fate/Luck have no effect whatsoever in this case). This is something to be aware of while Cursed by Executor (or Doomed, of course)--simply having better luck from other equipment, or even having Fate/Luck does not necessarily mean that you have offset the penalties associated with Curse/Doom.

Will I escape?
First you might be ambushed. You cannot be ambushed if you are invisible (regardless of the encounter monsters), if pass a Perception-1 in 100 roll, if you pass a 150 difficulty Alertness check, if you are a level 6 druid or a level 25 merchant (undocumented ability), or if you have the Scout talent and pass a 1 in 10 roll. Even if you meet none of those requirements, monsters only have a 1 in 30 ambush chance. They get an additional 1 in 15 if you are Cursed and a 1 in 8 on top of that if Doomed, for a combined ambush chance of 21% if cursed and doomed. If this happens, tough luck - you can't escape and the monsters start next to you, so no shooting.

Next, you get the chance to sneak. You successfully sneak (Stealth + Survival) times in 1000 tries. If you are invisible, you will successfully sneak an additional 500 - XL * 10 times (yes, XL hurts you here). Successful sneaking increases escape chances and allows you to spring an ambush of your own.

If you choose to ambush, a variable is increased by 50 times your Stealth skill and 30 times your Survival skill; this is probably the amount monsters are surprised in some way. If you fight or ambush, things end here.

You have five checks to escape an encounter. Only one of them needs to pass.

First, if you are a level 6 druid or level 25 ranger, you escape automatically.

Next, the encounter's first Escape number is a flat chance of escape. This chance is tripled if you made a successful sneak.

Next, if you are invisible, you get a chance to escape of the encounter's second Escape number. No tripling here.

Next, you escape if you make a successful Stealth check. The difficulty of this check is 200 minus the lesser of the escape numbers.

Next, you can escape automatically 1/3 of the time with the Scout talent.

If you fail all that, you have to fight. Sorry!

+ Reply