Total disregard for pc stats when climbing into rift
issueid=3745 07-03-2015 07:54 AM
Number of reported issues by gr3ybird: 16
Total disregard for pc stats when climbing into rift
see below

So, not to sound like a broken record but:

Dark elf assassin with 75 dex, 180 speed (probably doesn't really apply to this situation but I'm pointing it out anyway), climbing at 100, and very light corruption still falls when climbing into rift.

Seriously? What pc would be better equipped than this? Yes, he did have a climbing set (actually 4). He was wielding executor, but he was also blessed by his god and had fate smiles upon him and was wearing the ankh.

This is absurd and badly needs to change. Too many bad outcomes see to totally disregard pc stats.

EDIT: I'm almost positive the pc was not burdened on descent. As Blasphemous pointed out, he may have had a very high carry weight, but, so what, if he wasn't burdened, he wasn't burdened, and it shouldn't matter. Everything about the way the pc's stats are displayed to the player implies that it is burden rather than actual weight that matters. Why be deceptive here?
Issue Details
Issue Number 3745
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Unconfirmed
Priority 5 - Medium
Affected Version ADOM r57
Fixed Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 1
Users unable to reproduce bug 3
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

07-03-2015 08:23 AM
Ancient Member
Wear two blessed rings of luck.
Turns out luck is much more important for a successful descent than the attributes (though both modifiers stack).
Also weight of carried items is an important factor, even if PC's strength permits carrying a lot and still not being burdened.

That said, I agree descending the rift should be revised, as very skilled climbers have fallen when they shouldn't have, while lucky bastards made it down safely.

07-04-2015 06:00 AM
> so what, if he wasn't burdened, he wasn't burdened, and it shouldn't matter.

Tell it to the ice that breaks if you step on it while holding over 3000 stones.
The more you weight, the less reliable are your footholds and the fewer of them you can find.

Not a bug.

07-04-2015 11:38 AM
I'm with SinsI on this one: the "burdened" condition, in the game, is about the player standing on (relatively) flat ground. In real life I may be able to carry a certain weight and swing a sword without much difficulty, but if I'm scaling a rock-face I can't carry that same weight so easily. ..I was always under the impression that the climb into the rift was a particularly precarious one, thus falls were easy. Now, exactly how easy, that's where the real arguments will happen. ;)

07-05-2015 05:21 AM
Ancient Member
How many times did the PC fall? Every time?

[edit]According to sorear's old notes, the Rift does account for stats, by the way, it's just that Willpower happens to be the stat that matters. There's also a Courage check, apparently.

+ Reply