Grimstone
issueid=4797 06-23-2017 04:07 PM
Number of reported issues by Wigdaddy: 12
Grimstone
Complimentary Artifact to True Aim and Thunderstroke

While bow- and crossbow-users have True Aim and Thunderstroke to fuel their ambitions, there is no corresponding artifact missile for our humble sling wielders. Grimstone is intended for halfling archers and other characters who use slings.

When unidentified the weapon appears to be a normal rock, albeit one that weighs 6s instead of 5.

In identified form this missile has the following stats: Grimstone (+0, 10d6). When thrown, kicked or shot from a sling, Grimstone transforms into a huge rock while in the air (complete with the appropriate tile when playing in NotEye), crashing through doors and doing appropriate amounts of damage to creatures it hits. The tile changes back to that of a normal rock when on the ground.

Like other artifact missiles, this weapon returns when fired or thrown, reassuming its smaller size in the player's missile slot if caught. It also grants the character the see invisible intrinsic when in that slot.

Issue Details
Issue Number 4797
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 1 - Highest
Suggested Version ADOM r70 (v2.2.4)
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 6
Votes against this feature 2
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

06-23-2017 05:20 PM
Ancient Member
Nice. Up voted!

06-23-2017 08:16 PM
I don't like idea about giving 'see' invisibility. I'd rather give it something unique which would make it decent and considerable weapon. E.g. slaying properties, stunning chance or good melee values.

But we really need an artifact rock! And ideas of having huge rock properties are great

P.S. updated

06-23-2017 10:01 PM
Ancient Member
Lol, it's SEE invisibility, not invisibility

Also, I think 10d6 dmg returning item is good enough without slaying properties

06-24-2017 06:39 AM
Sorry, I got the idea right, just missing some words sometimes. No, I seriously don't see why would it Grant's invisible'. I'd rather give it stunning, +crit, increased range, slaying preperties, maybe even an ability to break walls if there is passage on the other side (so that you can't really dig, but can destroy single-tile wide wall).

06-24-2017 01:54 PM
Yes, but if it returns and you fail to catch it, it should hit you

06-24-2017 03:51 PM
Quote Originally Posted by gym21
Yes, but if it returns and you fail to catch it, it should hit you
Agreed, and this can happen with any returning missile. Something I very much had in mind when I came up with the idea. Suitably dramatic and the risk helps balance out its power. :)

I updated the description to clarify that the player must catch the Rock when it comes back, just like with any other returning weapon.

06-24-2017 04:06 PM
Quote Originally Posted by ixi
Sorry, I got the idea right, just missing some words sometimes. No, I seriously don't see why would it Grant's invisible'. I'd rather give it stunning, +crit, increased range, slaying preperties, maybe even an ability to break walls if there is passage on the other side (so that you can't really dig, but can destroy single-tile wide wall).
Thanks for your suggestions, ixi. IMHO, stunning, slaying, and +crit (and to a lesser extent increased range) would make it so powerful that the suggestion would never get implemented to begin with. This weapon already does 10d6 points of damage, plus bonuses from the character and missile weapon — don't get greedy. ;⁠)

I put the see invisible intrinsic on there because it's a useful property for archers to have and I wanted to give it a little extra something that didn't make it too overpowered. One thing that helps keep it balanced is that the intrinsic may disappear at inopportune times if the Rock is not caught on return!

I do like your wall-breaking idea, similar to the monk kicking power, but at a distance — an effect not quite available anywhere else.

I just want to be careful not to pack too much into an already very powerful artifact. It only breaks through doors, for example, because huge rocks actually do that already.

06-24-2017 10:40 PM
Sure Wigdaddy, just suggesting. Honestly, idea of having unusual rock is amazing in general and would be great regardless of implementation. I'd be happy to see OP implemented.

06-25-2017 07:54 AM
Ancient Member
I like everything except the idea of making the rock unidentified again when it's on the ground. It breaks the player's expectation (that items, once identified, will keep identified). This can be acceptable if there is a very good reason, but I don' think there is one. The only effect of doing this is that the player has to spend time looking carefully through lists of items each time they recover the precious rock. I think the "browsing through item lists" part of the game is a UI hurdle, not an interesting feature (just like, e.g., having to reload different arrows one by one). If you make me do this more often than needed, you are adding no extra difficulty (I will learn fast enough that I need the rock with weight 6) but you are making my game longer (and in a boring way, because fishing for the 6s rock among the 5s rocks is not exactly exciting) for no good reason.

06-27-2017 02:17 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Al-Khwarizmi
I like everything except the idea of making the rock unidentified again when it's on the ground. It breaks the player's expectation (that items, once identified, will keep identified). This can be acceptable if there is a very good reason, but I don' think there is one. The only effect of doing this is that the player has to spend time looking carefully through lists of items each time they recover the precious rock. I think the "browsing through item lists" part of the game is a UI hurdle, not an interesting feature (just like, e.g., having to reload different arrows one by one). If you make me do this more often than needed, you are adding no extra difficulty (I will learn fast enough that I need the rock with weight 6) but you are making my game longer (and in a boring way, because fishing for the 6s rock among the 5s rocks is not exactly exciting) for no good reason.
Well-articulated and excellent points, Al-Khwarizmi — you've fully convinced me. I originally had the idea that it would help balance the power of the weapon and add a little to its mystique, but you're absolutely correct — the game effect would often turn out to be drudgery. I will remove the de-identification property.

07-01-2017 04:59 PM
Posted this on the Facebook group and someone suggested that the name could be improved. I've come up with "Grimstone" as an alternative. It's more original, kind of a fun play on words and it seems to fit in with the theme of the game a little better. Thoughts?

07-01-2017 05:12 PM
Ancient Member
I liked rock of ages more personally, but grimstone sounds fine

+ Reply