Healers and Scalpels
issueid=4649 12-27-2016 10:05 PM
Number of reported issues by ghostjghost: 3
Healers and Scalpels
Requesting better use of scalpels for healers specifically.

I am requesting that Healers get bonuses to scalpels, specifically in the same vein as monks get for unarmed fighting, i.e. damage and to hit increase per level.

Right now the scalpel most healers start with is the same or weaker than fighting unarmed = 1d3+1 is scalpel 1d3+2 is unarmed Lvl 1 drakeling duelist with 16 strength.

1d3 means I have to run from everything with any PV until I can find a real weapon, this is as late as VD7 in some games i've played, before I get anything besides an orcish dagger which is not much better.

It also makes sense to me that healers should be able to do more damage with a scalpel than others via their knowledge of anatomy.
Issue Details
Issue Number 4649
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 8
Suggested Version ADOM 2.3.0 (r73)
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 1
Votes against this feature 7
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

12-28-2016 04:10 AM
Ancient Member
Probably the healer's scalpel is simply the best weapon among the tools of their trade as they "are not great fighters" (to quote the manual), and giving them some scalpel-wielding martial art would be really weird. "Their knowledge of anatomy" is already reflected by their training in the find weakness skill.

Gameplay-wise I don't see any issue with healer having a difficult start (or quickly ditching the scalpel for a more practical weapon). Not all classes are equal, and the healer early game is quite possible to navigate with careful play and true berserking.

12-28-2016 05:17 AM
Ancient Member
1d3 means I have to run from everything with any PV until I can find a real weapon
Pick the race which starts with weapon (orcs get 1d6 club, trolls their usual big stick, dwarves warhammer, mist elves 1d3+4 mithril scalpel, drakes an spit, humans, gnomes and hobbits wield lit torch (1d4 + 1d4 fire), ratlings get short sword, dark eleves have some quarrels for hand crossbow ) - in other words not a gray or high elf

12-28-2016 12:59 PM
Points well taken.

I did not realize torch did fire damage on top of base damage - I did not even consider it as a weapon as I usually just ignore darkness except when fighting the archmage, lol, I had been using the starting scalpel with humans, gnomes, drakelings, and hobbits.

+ Reply