Make configuring auto_pickup more intuitive
issueid=3367 10-26-2014 09:23 PM
Number of reported issues by Dogbreath: 74
Make configuring auto_pickup more intuitive

Currently, auto pickup has to be configured from the adom.cfg file, which is fine but seems awfully clunky, especially considering the upcoming steam release. I recommend making it configurable within the game, maybe from the settings menu? I picture a graphical menu with the name (and maybe picture) of each category, with buttons you can depress, and maybe a little green circle next to that category that lights up when you select it.

This is because I (and I think most) ADOM players use auto pickup, and it's a great feature, but unless you mess around with the .cfg file it's not accessible.
Issue Details
Issue Number 3367
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Implemented
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version ADOM r51
Implemented Version ADOM 2.3.0 (r73)
Milestone "Ease of Use" UI
Votes for this feature 14
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users adom-admin, jt, Ravenmore, Zeno
Tags (none)

12-17-2014 10:47 PM
This is now especially important with the steam release.

09-05-2015 10:46 AM
Bumping this because with the Steam release imminent, I really, really feel that auto_pickup and all the other game variables currently configured in the adom.cfg file ought to be configurable in-game. This is, from what I can see, the last frequently used gameplay issue that hasn't been modernized for the new UI, and it's going to confuse the everliving heck out of new players. (especially those not familiar with older games that had external configuration files you couldn't access in-game)

09-05-2015 04:53 PM
Agree. People who didn't get used to configuration files in the Dos era (or aren't using Linux) are likely to find such a file confusing.

09-06-2015 09:18 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Feorg
Agree. People who didn't get used to configuration files in the Dos era (or aren't using Linux) are likely to find such a file confusing.
Heck, I use Linux and it's still confusing. "I want to use auto_pickup in my game... ok, I need to find a hidden directory in my home folder called .adom.steam and modify a Boolean variable..." not really normal for basic gameplay in a Steam game. :P

09-06-2015 10:42 AM
Ancient Member
I have used DOS games, use Linux too sometimes, and I actually don't even bother to use autopickup for this reason... I use several computers (as well as the ADOM server), and I'm too lazy to go find the files and maintain them coherently in all of them. I do change a configuration variable in the server version because dungeon walls tend to show as ugly blocks instead of the nice #'s there if I don't.

12-24-2015 11:41 PM
Bumping again because of the UI updates.

We have a super simplified UI but there are still a bunch of game options you have to access a hidden file to modify. How does this make any sense?

12-25-2015 11:01 AM
Auto-pickup is definitely one of those options that should be easily-configurable. It's so so darned useful.

07-09-2017 10:01 AM
Hey TB, since you're currently in the middle of improving UI, the game options that can currently only be modified in a hidden text file is a really, really important and not too difficult improvement to make. :)

07-21-2017 06:29 AM
The Creator
Configuration options now can be configured with a nice in-game menu with context help.

07-21-2017 05:25 PM
Quote Originally Posted by adom-admin
Configuration options now can be configured with a nice in-game menu with context help.
Nice. Thanks. Any chance we could get some additional detail options or filters within categories example: keys only within tools or missles without throwing clubs?

07-24-2017 06:47 AM
The Creator
@mitres: Please file a separate RFE with filters you would like to see. Thy now are easier to add so if there are really good ones we can do that!

+ Reply