[RFE] Unmarysueify the mist elves
issueid=3313 08-31-2014 03:59 PM
Number of reported issues by Small Bombs: 3
[RFE] Unmarysueify the mist elves
They're quite silly

While I have nothing against them from a mechanics/game viewpoint, the descriptions about mist elves could use a little less elf fellation. Seriously, just look at the length of fluff text for them and compare it to every other race in manual. Everybody else gets two paragraphs at best, yet they get a whole damn novella. Why? That's just pointlessly excessive.
Ratlings are another new race, and they don't get NEARLY as much fellation as mist elves, despite being an established race who've had more presence in ADOM than every playable race except humans and dwarves for years.

In fact, I'd prefer they become straight up fairies; the baby stealing, whimsical jerkwads from the mythologies. They even already have the iron allergy. There was already 3 flavors of elves in game, did we seriously need another one? Rename them fairy, rewrite the fluffy parts to cut down on fellation and emphasize their whimsical and alien natures and voila! A much better weird new race than a *4th* race of elves, elfier than even the elfiest of elves ever.

Even if not a whole rewrite, at least do an editing on the manual. There's seriously no need to have a whole novella about elfiest elves ever in there.

e: How did this get tagged as a bug? Should I delete and repost this?
Issue Details
Issue Number 3313
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Rejected
Priority 10 - Lowest
Suggested Version ADOM r51
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 8
Votes against this feature 10
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

08-31-2014 04:26 PM
You didn't answer the essential question "how would this make the game more fun?", thus voting no.

08-31-2014 04:39 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Harkila
You didn't answer the essential question "how would this make the game more fun?", thus voting no.
Game would contain less elfyness gone mad. That equals fun.

08-31-2014 07:03 PM
Ancient Member
I found the RFE title rather funny as "Mary Sue" originally referred to absurdly gifted young characters.

08-31-2014 07:50 PM
Their manual description *is* pretty excessive when looked at next to the other races... but aside from that they're hardly "Mary Sues." They've apparently done exactly zilch beyond "sit back and watch" in the known history of the world, you never see them except as PCs and shopkeepers, etc... plus, they're 8000 year old weird mystical beings that die instantly to a random stone block 3 steps into a dungeon, or because they accidentally put on the wrong piece of jewelry and couldn't take it off within the 10 seconds it would take to poison them to death. To be Mary Sues for real they'd have to be this newly-introduced species that's suddenly the focus of the whole game/world, but instead they're the rare oddball that's hard to play if you don't know what you're doing (avoid traps, don't kick doors, etc...) and have almost no non-player presence in the game at all.

I was a bit "huh? MORE elves?" about a 4th type of elves when I first saw the two new races mentioned, but after seeing what they're actually like, they really are "different enough" for me to be okay with them. If anything, High Elves and Gray Elves are the ones that don't really stand out (aside from "these are the tough Legolas elves and these are the squishy magic elves" which... compared to Dark Elves' crazy spider religion and Mist Elves' "we're weird pale fragile 8000-year-old things formed from magical mist stuff with a metal allergy" thing, that's not really much as far as distinguishing features go. I suppose having two types of "generic elf" isn't too bad, though. It's not like there's those two plus Wood Elves and Mountain Elves and Hill Elves and Sewer Elves and... you get the idea.)

...Have the graphical-mode sprites of the Mist Elves ever been updated to actually look like what their descriptions in-game sound like, by the way? Like, white skin white hair white eyes... not just the "basic blonde-haired elf" look that I saw in screenshots a while back. The white-everything descriptions they have made me think they'd look a lot paler and less-normal-elf-ish in graphics... from all the descriptions I was sort of picturing them as these weird wispy glowy pale almost elemental-ish things that just happen to be elf-shaped, rather than something so close to regular elves.

08-31-2014 07:54 PM
Ancient Member
My understanding is that Mist Elves were a race that TB promised someone many years ago. I agree that their manual description is pretty long, but I'd rather see more flavour text given to other race than cutting down for MEs.

09-02-2014 07:41 AM
OP has no idea what "Mary Sue" means.

09-02-2014 09:32 AM
Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer
My understanding is that Mist Elves were a race that TB promised someone many years ago. I agree that their manual description is pretty long, but I'd rather see more flavour text given to other race than cutting down for MEs.
I remember many years ago, maybe 2004 or 2005 I e-mailed TB and he emailed back that there would be a new version of ADOM by Xmas with Mist Elves and Ratlings. Nobody believed me at all, and the next version of ADOM didn't show up until 6-7 years later.

09-02-2014 03:05 PM
Ancient Member
Just a tip: wording your RFEs like this is not going to do you any favors when TB looks at it. Tone it down, dude.

08-09-2017 02:03 PM
The Creator
LOL, mist elves (and the other ones) are going to stay as they are. Pointless complications, pointless validations of existing documentation elsewhere (Internet) and it's my vision of Ancardia. So it stays as it is.

+ Reply