is pathing bugged?
issueid=3883 09-13-2015 01:55 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by auricbond: 264
is pathing bugged?

It seems sometimes that when I go out of a monster's LOS that is in pursuit it completely loses where I am or tries to chart a strange course or turns around and heads the opposite way. Reminds me of the Baldur's Gate games where one party member bumps into another, treats it as an immovable wall and charts a weird detour around the entire map.
Issue Details
Issue Number 3883
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Unconfirmed
Priority 9
Affected Version ADOM r60
Fixed Version (none)
Milestone Potential work pipeline
Users able to reproduce bug 3
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

10-20-2016 03:07 PM
Ancient Member
Hope this gets fixed soon. Looks ridiculous when I command a pet to attack an enemy two tiles south of it with no obstruction, and he just stands there because he's decided he wants to walk through me instead and is waiting for me to move.

08-09-2017 09:23 PM
Ancient Member
I realise this is accepted into the work pipeline but thought I'd show a screenshot as an example of how blatant the issue can be:

The orc scorcher will not move into the tile southeast of it until I move south!

*EDIT Maybe this isn't so strange, given that my movement causes the orc to need to reposition to fire missiles. However there are other examples of oddness where the monsters you expect to move just stand there, maybe I'll find a better example...

08-09-2017 09:39 PM
There are a number of pathfinding issues with the game (see #3396 for example for missile path weirdness).

If I were to make a guess, it would be that the game uses a shortest-path algorithm (like Dijkstra's, for example) to determine the quickest route between two nodes, but fails to account for things like water when it finds that path. So the algorithm would return that the shortest path from the orc to you has a cost of 2 instead of 3, but the orc can't physically cross the water. Rather than finding the next shortest path to the player, it just stays in place.

08-09-2017 10:14 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Dogbreath
There are a number of pathfinding issues with the game (see #3396 for example for missile path weirdness).

If I were to make a guess, it would be that the game uses a shortest-path algorithm (like Dijkstra's, for example) to determine the quickest route between two nodes, but fails to account for things like water when it finds that path. So the algorithm would return that the shortest path from the orc to you has a cost of 2 instead of 3, but the orc can't physically cross the water. Rather than finding the next shortest path to the player, it just stays in place.
One thing that just sprung to mind: shopkeepers. You drop all unpaid items and if he decides to path through you he'll wait for you to move, even if there's an alternate square.

+ Reply