The ability to abort a weekly challenge
issueid=3667 03-19-2015 10:27 PM
Number of reported issues by moozooh: 17
The ability to abort a weekly challenge

So here's a silly situation. I load up the latest Steam version (R56), start a challenge game (the recent Orcish Healer one), and after a while alt+enter to look up some corpse effect I didn't remember well. The game crashes. This saddened me a bit because I liked the challenge a lot and was on a great pace. I would love to replay it even if the score wouldn't count.

However, I can't try the challenge again because it's reported as "in progress" but the progress has already been lost and consequently there are no saved games available to load from (the autosave never happened until the game crashed). I'm now essentially locked out of perhaps my favorite challenge to date, and it saddens me even more than the initial crash.

If there's no easy way to avoid crashes or other potential causes of lost challenge games, at least give us the ability to abort them at will from the main menu as an emergency fallback. Just feels kinda weird to be locked out this way.
Issue Details
Issue Number 3667
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Windows 7 (Steam)
Status Rejected
Priority 4
Suggested Version ADOM r57
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 4
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

12-26-2015 06:24 PM
The Creator
I guess this is just bad luck. Any function allowing to abort running challenge games IMHO could be abused to try scoring much better. Sadly crashes are so unpredictable that we IMHO will have to focus on avoiding such crashes ;-(

12-26-2015 07:30 PM
Quote Originally Posted by adom-admin
I guess this is just bad luck. Any function allowing to abort running challenge games IMHO could be abused to try scoring much better. Sadly crashes are so unpredictable that we IMHO will have to focus on avoiding such crashes ;-(
Er, no, by abort I mean abort completely, like Shift+Q. It would forfeit the current score as it should, but at least I would still be able to play it again for fun. I'm asking for an ability to force Shift+Q on a crashed game because otherwise I can't even access the menu option to play it the second time (which I'm still able to do if I die or Shift+Q). It would not be abusable in any way. Please reconsider.

01-15-2016 06:26 AM
Petition to reopen this issue.

I personally think the Weekly Challenge score should only be locked in if the challenge is completed (or 'Q'uit) and a score recorded. That way crashes like the above would be avoidable. it might be good to introduce an auto-save function for the challenge mode as well, if this is possible without exploitation?

I also agree completely with the original suggestion that Challenge Mode *games* should be playable even if something odd happens to the first game like a crash to desktop, rather than jammed up and unusable for the rest of the week due to unexpected errors. If those of us who have completed a challenge are permitted to run it again for fun then surely someone who was locked out of scoring by mistake should be allowed to!

+ Reply