Allow Hit and Damage messages in log
issueid=3211 07-20-2014 12:42 PM
Number of reported issues by mercy: 7
Allow Hit and Damage messages in log
Show for how HP damage on monsters

On each hit please show how many damage the character managed to cause to the monster:

on keypress :m please do not display "Nothing interesting happened" instead this:

Example message log:

Player hits monster for 5 HP damage in the head.
Monster claws at player 2x, but misses.
Monster tries to bite the player, but misses.
Player hits monster for 2 HP damage in the groin. Monster DIES!

Thank you.
Issue Details
Issue Number 3211
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Windows 7 (NotEye)
Status Unconfirmed
Priority Unknown
Affected Version ADOM r49
Fixed Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 0
Users unable to reproduce bug 4
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

07-20-2014 05:42 PM
Ancient Member
I think it would break immersion if the game reported damage in terms of exact points given.

07-20-2014 07:50 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by anon123
I think it would break immersion if the game reported damage in terms of exact points given.
+1. I prefer the current qualitative reports.

07-20-2014 08:52 PM
http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=3179

ADOM is gradually becoming less obfuscated, whether you guys like it or not. A lot of the design quirks that many people here consider intentional and charming are just artifacts due to the limitations present when the game was first made. The only reason it was possible to think otherwise is because development was suspended for so long in the past.

07-20-2014 09:54 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by gr3ybird
http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=3179

ADOM is gradually becoming less obfuscated, whether you guys like it or not. A lot of the design quirks that many people here consider intentional and charming are just artifacts due to the limitations present when the game was first made. The only reason it was possible to think otherwise is because development was suspended for so long in the past.
That RFE will not make any changes to how accurately attacks will be displayed. It already shows whether you miss, hit with no damage ("you hit but do not manage to harm it"), hit without critical hit, hit with critical hit. ADOM also has some specific messages related to backstabbing, some class powers and weapons with prefixes for example but these will not display the exact damage either.

And stethoscope is there to determine exact amount of HP (or certain other stats) a monster has.

07-20-2014 10:30 PM
"That RFE will not make any changes to how accurately attacks will be displayed."

Yes it will.

Thomas's RFE:

"Bubbles for miss, hit (with damage) and critical"

I can only assume that "with damage" means a numerical damage amount will be displayed, which is different from the current situation where that is definitely not the case.

I don't understand how you can debate this.

07-21-2014 10:35 PM
If Thomas himself wants to change the feedback to state exactly how many points of damage are done, I'll go with it. ..I do still prefer the way it has been up until now, where you know if you've hit them, and if it was a particularly strong hit, but not to any exact value how much damage you've done. That seems more realistic to me. The game only reports to you what the hero observes to be happening.

..For this same reason, one of the first things I do when I start a new release is turn off the health-bars. The uncertainty of exactly how injured a character might be can add some tension to the game in the choices you have to make when the next turn could be your last.

07-21-2014 11:44 PM
Ancient Member
A lot of the design quirks that many people here consider intentional and charming are just artifacts due to the limitations present when the game was first made.
In this case, limitations have nothing to do with the issue. Obviously, ADOM has to calculate the damage and the monster's HP, so it would have been easier for TB to just show the number than to show things like "slightly damaged", "moderately damaged", etc. The latter involves some extra if-then-elses.

What is true is that that way of reporting damage, so common in glorious RPG's of yore (the Ultima series, "Barely Wounded!", comes to my mind), is now less fashionable. The fashionable thing now is MMORPGs where people have conversations like "hey, you should use this weapon instead of that because *browses spreadsheet* it gives you 0.00415 more DPS". Not the kind of thing that helps immersion, but oh well.

"Bubbles for miss, hit (with damage) and critical"

I can only assume that "with damage" means a numerical damage amount will be displayed, which is different from the current situation where that is definitely not the case.
Not necessarily. It probably means what you say, but it could also be something like small red bubble - small damage, medium bubble - medium damage, big bubble - big damage, or similar. I'm hoping for something like the latter, personally :)

+ Reply