Rolf doesn't always notice a corrupted heart
issueid=5117 09-25-2017 08:41 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Grond: 971
Rolf doesn't always notice a corrupted heart

EDIT: On further testing, I'm not entirely sure what leads to Rolf not noticing. In the attached save file I corrupted the stone heart in a wilderness encounter, and then immediately went to Rolf. When I give it to him and then chat he gives the normal quest rewards.

If you corrupt the stone heart while in a wilderness encounter, Rolf doesn't seem to notice and gives you the normal quest rewards instead of asking you to stop the apocalypse.
Issue Details
Issue Number 5117
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All without NotEye
Status Creator Feedback
Priority 4
Affected Version ADOM 2.3.3
Fixed Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 0
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

10-04-2017 10:06 PM
The Creator
In the attached save file the internal data says that Bergbringer was neither used nor corrupted... are you sure you didn't restore from an older state inbetween?

10-04-2017 10:07 PM
The Creator
The surface world also looks perfectly fine? No volcanoes, etc.?

10-04-2017 10:17 PM
Ancient Member
Loaded up the save, and I'm getting the "Heavy eruptions shake the earth!" messages. Found some volcanoes in the southwest of the wilderness.

10-04-2017 10:30 PM
The Creator
Oops, now I see it.

And the bug is somewhat disconcerting... did you start playing this game in a version older than 2.3.3? Right now my biggest suspect is a mistake we made in savefile compatibility :-/ But I still can't put my finger on it...

10-04-2017 10:41 PM
Ancient Member
Yes, I think this save was started in 2.3.1.

10-05-2017 06:40 AM
Ancient Member
Wasn't able to reproduce this with a fresh 2.3.3 save.

10-05-2017 02:40 PM
The Creator
Ok, this at least is good in so far that no future games would be affected by it. But I still don't see the mistake we made in savefile compatibility handling :-/ For now I will leave this ticket open and observe it.

10-08-2017 01:07 PM
The Creator
No more such reports. I'll close it for now.

This petition for a change to Creator Feedback was accepted
10-19-2017 05:06 PM
Ancient Member
In a fresh 2.3.5 game I corrupted the heart on the world map, stopped volcanoes from spawning, and then chatted and gave the heart to Rolf. He didn't have any special comment and gave me the upgraded axe and shield. Is this intended? It seems weird that he wouldn't have anything special to say in this situation.

10-19-2017 05:23 PM
Ancient Member
I've reproduced the original issue in 2.3.5. Attached another save ("Slap_Fig") that has corrupted the heart, but will get the axe/shield reward when it is given to Rolf.

10-20-2017 10:25 AM
Ancient Member
In a fresh 2.3.5 game I corrupted the heart on the world map, stopped volcanoes from spawning, and then chatted and gave the heart to Rolf. He didn't have any special comment and gave me the upgraded axe and shield. Is this intended? It seems weird that he wouldn't have anything special to say in this situation.
Perhaps we could get a semi-reward in this case, i.e. Rolf acknowledging that the PC screwed up but took immediate action to prevent the situation. It's fairly easy to screw up anyway, since the Fire Orb is usually present at this point.

11-20-2017 06:04 PM
Playing 3.0.2., I corrupted the heart, went to fetch the Heart of Ancardia, then went to Rolf and got my normal quest rewards (gleaming axe and shield). He didn't mention the apocalypse in any way, even though volcano generation was not yet stopped.

I'm rather confused on whether this is intended behaviour or not. :)

11-20-2017 07:11 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Harkila
Playing 3.0.2., I corrupted the heart, went to fetch the Heart of Ancardia, then went to Rolf and got my normal quest rewards (gleaming axe and shield). He didn't mention the apocalypse in any way, even though volcano generation was not yet stopped.

I'm rather confused on whether this is intended behaviour or not. :)
Rolf doesn't seem like the observant type :p

I think that it should stay the way as it is now (although fixing the behavior of Rolf not noticing the corrupt heart after while volcanoes are going should maybe be fixed).

The volcano quest as is really doesn't seem to be worth doing, as the reward (the Heart of Ancardia) is okay, but not that great compared to Rolfs rewards. You also get absolutely nothing from Ice Queen for bringing Ygaaz, which is also a major bummer.

The upgraded axe, shield and stats alone easily beat out the rewards of the volcano, but if you could do both and get both (i.e the heart of ancardia and all of Rolfs rewards) then I think that is better. That or make the volcano more enticing.

11-21-2017 06:43 AM
Agreed, because the Heart of Ancardia really is meh. I'm fine with meh artifacts but this is at the end of a very difficult dungeon. Even more so if the intent is to have it so that activating volcanoes would forfeit the Rolf rewards.

I don't think bringing Yggaz would need any major rewards, as the big reward is anyway the pacifying of volcanoes. Maybe some token gifts such as Yggaz could give 12 potions of booze and maybe a couple potions of extra healing from the queen.

+ Reply