Disarm traps spell on unknown traps
issueid=2369 09-24-2013 12:02 PM
Number of reported issues by asdf: 54
Disarm traps spell on unknown traps

If you use Disarm traps spell on square without a trap - "You listen to the sound of silence."
If you use Disarm traps spell on square with a known trap - "The trap vanishes."
If you use Disarm traps spell on square with unknown trap - there is no message, just occasional "You become more efficient in using the 'Disarm Trap' spell".

Even if you dont know that there was a trap, disarming it should provide some effect (message), right?
Issue Details
Issue Number 2369
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Unconfirmed
Priority 9
Affected Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 16
Fixed Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 6
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

09-24-2013 04:15 PM
Ancient Member
The trouble, I guess, is that the spell effect of a successful spell is for the trap to simply vanish. How do you tell if something vanished that you couldn't tell was even there?

ADOM does this thing in more than one place, where situations that should be indistinguishable from each other get subtle tells in the in-game text (such as doors not budging or not "at all" budging, feet hurting or "really" hurting when you kick walls, so there's a precedent for making the successful disarming of an unknown trap something slightly different rather than nothing at all. "You listen closely to the sound of silence", perhaps? "You are comforted by the sound of silence"?

09-24-2013 07:51 PM
However, the thing here is that even if you don't know there's a trap on a door, if you cast the Dispel Trap spell on it, 'You hear a clicking sound'. It's quite a distinctive trap removal noise even if you didn't know it was there in the first place. So I'm in agreement with this being a bug; a message was forgotten somewhere. I've thought about it my own self a couple times.

09-24-2013 09:06 PM
Ancient Member
Floor traps do vanish without a sound, though. They don't click. Whether it was an oversight or not and whether how it's currently handled is how Thomas thinks it's best handled is not for us to answer.

09-25-2013 10:05 AM
Floor traps do vanish without a sound, though. They don't click. Whether it was an oversight or not and whether how it's currently handled is how Thomas thinks it's best handled is not for us to answer.
Which is why putting in a report isn't a bad thing. :)

After all, it was only through (totally unrelated) bug reports that we discovered Khelevaster wasn't *supposed* to be made invisible in the village when he was rescued!

09-25-2013 10:36 AM
Ancient Member
I think it would be OK if the message were "You listen to the sound of silence" as in the no trap case. But there should be a message.

+ Reply