strange problem with spells
issueid=2392 10-14-2013 02:31 AM
Number of reported issues by Ozma777: 4
strange problem with spells
dead key

I was playing adom last night (1.1.1 I know I should update but I got tons of high level characters still and some promising lower level ones)...

But I just got through the library with my level 23 grey elven wizard with ALL the spellbooks thanks to lighning/ice/fire ball spells and also teleportation with teleport control. And as I started reading my new found spellbooks I got to (or maybe past) the letter W all of a sudden W stopped working. I have every spell except wish (not quite satiated enough yet), and two others (know alignment and stun ray I believe) because they burned or were acidly melted.

Now if I do Z (for cast) I can page down thus getting past not being able to cast mystic shovel (W on the first screen it becomes D after page down I believe) but summon monsters (I haven't used before and wanted to try it out) is W after pagedown on cast screen.

Is this a 1.1.1 adom issue or is it a bug that needs to be looked at on all of them?

I can't wizard mode test the other versions like slashem.
Issue Details
Issue Number 2392
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Windows XP
Status Duplicate
Priority 5 - Medium
Affected Version ADOM 1.1.1
Fixed Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 0
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

10-14-2013 05:27 AM
Administrator
Which binary are you using? Winbeta 4 or the MS-DOS version? Or maybe the Linux version with Sage?

The issue 1235 sounds similar and it was fixed in 1.2.0 Prerelease 7.

10-14-2013 09:26 PM
adom 1.1.1 for windows with no extras.
Full screen (alt-enter) not sure if that matters but I always run it full screen.
OH no! so I might have just cleared my spell casting marks?
On the spell casting screen IceBall is P +21 and R 2 is this likely that iceball is now down to only level 2 (like it was cleared and started again)?

And I've heard that you can "quick mark" spells how can I quick mark summon monsters so that I can cast it without using the dead key W?

10-14-2013 10:14 PM
Administrator
You can quick-mark your skills with :Z and then cast them with Z. I'm not sure if this fixes your problem with the "W" key...

10-14-2013 11:24 PM
YES nice now I can cast all my spells, but one question...
when I choose Z it says IceBall 1017 22pp P+21 R2 7d7+44
so castings are 1017 powerpoints required 22, but what is P+21 and R2?

10-14-2013 11:57 PM
Ancient Member
what is P+21 and R2?
That's in the manual...

10-15-2013 12:29 AM
Quote Originally Posted by anon123
That's in the manual...
what manual? <edit> Ah found it. but a simple P=spell power (increased after x amount of castings) and R = range would have been better. Good so pressing W on the cast screen DIDN'T blank out my spell marks. So thanks for the help in :Z (quick marking spells) so I can cast summon monsters (not a very useful spell for a nonbard though) now that I know what it does I can unquickmark it, but in future (at least until my last character dies and I upgrade to 1.2.0) I will be able to get around the dead key W in the casting screen. Thanks again.

10-15-2013 05:27 AM
Administrator
Closed as duplicate of issue 1235.

10-15-2013 05:42 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Ozma777
what manual? <edit> Ah found it. but a simple P=spell power (increased after x amount of castings) and R = range would have been better.
I think the current explanation is better. I definitely prefer knowing how x is determined.

+ Reply