Unable to log in + minor bugs
issueid=156 04-14-2011 07:41 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Grey: 58
Unable to log in + minor bugs
Various users have reported not being able to log in to the forums

Since the recent wiping out of spambots a number of bugs seem to have arisen in the forum software. One report I'm hearing about from several sources is not being able to log in - they go through the log in dialogue and nothing happens. Some have reported being able to fix the issue by deleting all cookies, but for others this ain't working.

Other bugs that have arisen lately for me:
- Members currently on-line doesn't work (shows only self)
- New posts are no longer highlighted apart from very occasionally. It almost seems like the whole forum is marked as read for me every half an hour.

Also the inability of new posters to sign up is very depressing. I understand the reasons behind the whole delayed sign-up, but the prevention of new posters joining is making discussion stagnate, and it's a shame that people getting interested in ADOM Live can't sign up effectively. A long-term solution to the sign-up problem would be greatly appreciated.
Issue Details
Issue Number 156
Project Website Development
Category Forums
Status Unconfirmed
Priority 2
Affected Version Unknown
Fixed Version (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 3
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

04-15-2011 12:19 PM
Ancient Member
Just a guess, but a possible reason (for, at least, the logging-in bug) is that the log-out time after being inactive (which was normally about 10 minutes for this forum) has been changed to 0 seconds, perhaps by accident or a bug. Checking "remember me" prevents timed log-out. Also, logging out clears your forum cache ("all cookies cleared!"), resetting unread posts among other things. Every time you load a page, you've already been logged out, but the forum "remembers" you so you invisibly log-in again - but your cache has already been cleared in the process. And that's why clicking New Posts never works. And other users can't be seen on Currently Active Users, because they're actually logged in only for the fraction of a second whenever they interact with the forum.

Of course, this might all be wrong. :-P I don't really know how VBulletin works.

04-15-2011 01:13 PM
Ancient Member
Wow, that's an excellent analysis! I hope it's true, because it's such an elegant explanation...

+ Reply