Trapmasters
issueid=5458 10-19-2017 09:32 PM
Number of reported issues by Jb12323: 8
Trapmasters

While trapmasters are a cool idea and add some variability to the game. They also add a couple things I see as issues that can't be avoided. All of these pertain to hallways.

First of all, it is known that mist elves just die to traps early. This increases the frequency of this and makes them even harder to get started with.

Next, with the addition of the Tome of Donors, it already has significantly decreased the desirability of precrowning. I've noticed that a single trap master can almost completely shut down an early precrown with 1 pit or acid trap in the wrong place, further decreasing the desirability of precrowns.

Lastly, the puppy. It's already relatively tough to save the puppy early (while waiting is always an option, this means no access to the early lesser vault). Now one trap from a trap master can completely shut down any chance to save it.

My suggestion: Increase the trap masters stats (PV, damage, health) but also increase their danger level maybe to 6 or 7 so they do not spawn quite as early. This would still let them be a fun new monster while not completely shutting down a lot of early game tactics which already aren't seen often.
Issue Details
Issue Number 5458
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority Unknown
Suggested Version ADOM 2.3.6
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 2
Votes against this feature 4
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

10-19-2017 09:53 PM
Ancient Member
Up voted, although points 1 and 2 I disagree with, Mist elves are supposed to be a challenge race, get detect traps skill. 2, precrowning is a grindy cheatfest imo and detracts from the enjoyment of the game. To each his own however, I pickpocket so I guess my complaining about grinding doesn't hold much water :)

10-19-2017 10:02 PM
Ancient Member
I don't like the idea. Increasing their strength makes them not fit in with the other kobolds, and they currently feature in kobold tension rooms and vaults. Mist elves being difficult and precrowning being difficult aren't bad things, and issues with the puppy dying to traps can mostly be avoided by ordering the puppy to wait and swapping it over traps. Since their nerf to trap creation rate, they seem quite reasonable as-is.

10-19-2017 10:40 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Grond
I don't like the idea. Increasing their strength makes them not fit in with the other kobolds, and they currently feature in kobold tension rooms and vaults. Mist elves being difficult and precrowning being difficult aren't bad things, and issues with the puppy dying to traps can mostly be avoided by ordering the puppy to wait and swapping it over traps. Since their nerf to trap creation rate, they seem quite reasonable as-is.
Hmm was not aware trapmasters were already being nerfed with frequency, this does help mitigate some of the problem. And also was not aware about puppy swapping to stop traps from activating. Maybe this will make some of these early things a bit easier.

10-19-2017 11:17 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Jb12323
Hmm was not aware trapmasters were already being nerfed with frequency, this does help mitigate some of the problem.
To clarify: trapmasters have already been nerfed in the current beta version; they produced traps more frequently when they were initially introduced in the prereleases.

10-19-2017 11:52 PM
Hmm well then I'd still argue for it. You say it wouldn't fit in with the other Kobolds. But that's is like saying a dark Orc or Orc butcher doesn't fit in with the other orcs and wouldn't work in tension rooms. Well they don't work in tension rooms but can easily be excluded. And I dont see why making a harder, more mid-late game Kobold would be a problem. Seems completely reasonable and would help with the issues I addressed.

10-20-2017 07:04 AM
Maybe I could argue for an increase of 1-2 danger levels, but not much. Trapmasters seem decently balanced with the already added nerf.

For precrownings, disarming traps can be learned in-game, and the puppy quest is not meant to be easy.

+ Reply