Wrong perception room + oppisite alignment amulet == instant death
issueid=2117 04-14-2013 12:21 AM
Number of reported issues by Dental_floss: 6
Wrong perception room + oppisite alignment amulet == instant death
Wearing an oppisitely aligned alignment amulet kills the PC instantly when entering a "something is wrong with your perception" room.

Today I was playing 1.2.0 pre 13 for Linux. I had a C alignment dark elf ranger who was wearing a blessed amulet of order. I was taking occasional damage as expected.

I entered a new room and received the following message output:

"You get the odd feeling that something is wrong with your perception of this room, but can't seem to tell what it is from just looking around. You feel a burning pain around your neck! You hear the sound of rushing water! You feel a burning pain around your neck! You feel a burning pain around your neck! You feel a burning pain around your neck! You feel a burning pain around your neck! You feel a burning pain around your neck! You hear the chime of a tiny bell. You hear the sound of rushing water! You feel a burning pain around your neck! You feel a burning pain around your neck!"

I was unable to input commands after entering the room and upon pressing "enter" was instantly killed.
Issue Details
Issue Number 2117
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Linux
Status Unconfirmed
Priority 7
Affected Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 13
Fixed Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 0
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

04-14-2013 03:16 AM
Ancient Member
This was probably caused by entering the room with a 'w'alk command: you take one step into the room, then a step in the same direction takes you out of the room - repeat. If the damage from the amulet doesn't interrupt your walk, your fate would be sealed.

When I tested this in the ID, entering the room with 'w6' only caused two turns to pass. Entering it with 'w3', however, caused many turns to pass, and the "wrong perception" message was not displayed multiple times - which matches your description.

04-14-2013 03:38 AM
Excellent diagnosis! That explains why time was still passing as indicated by the rushing water/ding messages. I should note however that the excerpt above is only a small portion of the output and that I was dealt about 100 damage. I estimate this would have taken around 1000 or more turns as I had walked from Terinyo to D4 or D5 before this happened with very minimal health loss (due to the healing skill compensating).

+ Reply