Increase Wyrmlance rarity
issueid=3395 11-02-2014 01:26 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by _Ln_: 97
Increase Wyrmlance rarity

As far as my experience in the game goes, Wyrmlance is for some reason more common than any other artifact. This was always bugging me when practically any char will have it in the summary log, whereas there are some artifacts I have not seen for ages.

Now, this is the third consecutive character I am playing who goes to have a precrowning and receives Wyrmlance. It's getting a bit tense.

Can we make it the same as other artifacts? I wouldn't be complaining if it were decent, but it's one of the most bland artifacts in the game.
Issue Details
Issue Number 3395
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 7
Suggested Version ADOM r52
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 19
Votes against this feature 4
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

11-02-2014 02:13 PM
Ancient Member
I can confirm this, I've had wyrmlance with every char that closed the gate for the past ~5 finished games.
If there's a greater vault somewhere and wyrmlance is not there initially, it's almost guaranteed that one of the monsters killed while clearing the vault will drop wyrmlance rather than any other artifact.
I think its rarity should be put in line with the rarity of all the other artifacts.

04-08-2015 04:31 PM
ALL artifacts should have exactly the same rarity. Race-only (staff of creation) and class-only (chaos knight's and duelist's) can of course be anything.

I personally like Wyrmlance, but I don't like to have it with about every character. Some variety would be nice! I also very much enjoy playing a duelist and a beastfighter. Getting precrowned virtually every time with Wyrmlance.. not that nice.

04-08-2015 04:37 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous
I think its rarity should be put in line with the rarity of all the other artifacts.
Exactly. Now it seems that EVERY other artifact has the same rarity, except Wyrmlance. Why? If there is a sensible reason for this, like something to do with the history of Ancardia or whatever, I'm ok with it (this information should be available from Thrundarr or something..) but it seems that it's the most common artifact for absolutely no reason.

04-14-2015 02:55 PM
I think it might be pretty cool to make some set of artifacts more common than others, so it feels more special if you find a rarer one; you might even be able to have some kind of story tie-in as in the Thrundarr suggestion. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if this were just a typo, and I agree it's better to have them all the same rather than randomly just one different.

04-14-2015 03:56 PM
i used to see it so often it felt guaranteed. Haven't seen it now in over a year. *shrugs*

04-14-2015 05:44 PM
Ancient Member
The more active denizens of #adom irc channel have an ongoing betting competition on when the wyrmlance is going to show up in our respective games. Not if; when.

04-15-2015 10:34 AM
Ancient Member
I wonder if it would be possible to automate YAVP checking for artifacts generated. If distribution flawed [and not being just observation error] it would show pretty much easily.

04-15-2015 11:56 AM
Ancient Member
How do people know that it is weighted to be the most common and they aren't just seeing a pattern that isn't there because of the game's inherent randomness? Is there a post where a dev divulges the game logic involved and says it's set to be the most common artifact?

04-15-2015 02:30 PM
I believe that the info that it's exactly twice as common was extracted from the executable somehow.

04-15-2015 03:50 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by auricbond
How do people know that it is weighted to be the most common and they aren't just seeing a pattern that isn't there because of the game's inherent randomness? Is there a post where a dev divulges the game logic involved and says it's set to be the most common artifact?
Wgetted flg files from ADOM european server(sorry if I put some strain on it, Alucard).
Wyrmlance did creep up to the top:
Code:
('the si', 228)
('the scythe of corruption "Moon Sickle"', 200)
('the golden gladius "Death\'s Sting"', 187)
('the Chaos Orb of Elemental Water', 185)
('the Chaos Orb of Elemental Fire', 182)
('the elemental gauntlets', 181)
('the ancient mummy wrapping', 181)
('the ankh', 181)
('the Chaos Orb of Elemental Earth', 174)
('the Chaos Orb of Elemental Air', 172)
('the crown of science', 170)
('the ring of the High Kings', 164)
('the lead-filled mace "Big Punch"', 161)
('the Chaos Orb of Elemental Mana', 147)
('the ring of the master cat', 123)
('the black torc', 115)
('the sword of Nonnak', 115)
('the rune-covered halberd "Wyrmlance"', 95)
('the potion of literacy', 75)
('the scorched spear', 66)
('the fine leather armor "Nature\'s Companion"', 63)
('the rune-covered trident', 60)
('the phial of Caladriel', 52)
('the black rune-covered dagger "Needle"', 51)
('the heavy crossbow "The Far Slayer"', 48)
('the axe of the minotaur emperor', 47)
('the silvery arrow "True Aim"', 46)
('the obsidian quarrel "Thunderstroke"', 43)
('the dwarven rune axe "Rolf\'s Companion"', 42)
('the bracers of war', 41)
('the elven long bow "Sun\'s Messenger"', 41)
('the staff of the Wanderer', 40)
('the staff of the archmagi', 39)
('the hammer of the gods', 39)
('the ancient claymore "Death\'s Blade"', 38)
('the robes of resistance', 37)
('the black tome of Alsophocus', 37)
('the boots of the divine messenger', 36)
('the silver key', 34)
('the rune-covered sling "Whirlwind"', 33)
('the silvery two-handed sword "Vanquisher"', 32)
('the glaive "Long Sting"', 31)
('the Shirt of the Saints', 31)
('the small black shield "Lust for Glory"', 30)
("Brannalbin's Cloak of Defense", 29)
('the cloak of Oman', 27)
('the shining long spear "Soaker"', 26)
('the intricate wooden shield "Nature\'s Friend"', 26)
('the rune-covered club "Skullcrusher"', 26)
('the heavy cudgel "Black Thumb"', 26)
('the black rune-covered dagger "Sting"', 25)
('the ring of immunity', 25)
('the medium obsidian shield "Protector"', 25)
('the girdle of the emperors "Celestrix"', 24)
('the Iron Crown of Havlor', 23)
('the Medal of Chaos', 23)
('the Crown of Chaos', 23)
('the rune-covered long sword "Trusted One"', 22)
('the thin dagger "Cat\'s Claw"', 22)
('the dwarven pick axe "Hammerhead"', 22)
('the emerald dagger "Serpent\'s Bite"', 21)
('the ebony spear "Bugbiter"', 21)
('the crown of leadership', 21)
('the Trident of the Red Rooster', 21)
('the weird tome', 21)
('the dwarven shield "Rolf\'s Saviour"', 20)
('the black long sword "Kinslayer"', 20)
("Perion's mithril plate mail", 20)
('the Aylas Holy Scarf', 20)
('the mighty morning star "Grod"', 19)
('the holy avenger "Justifier"', 18)
('the iron gauntlets "Ironfist"', 17)
('the rune-covered heavy mace "Purifier"', 17)
('the sapphire amulet "Preserver"', 17)
('the jet-black battle axe "Executor"', 16)
('the platinum girdle "True Strength"', 8)
('the fencing gloves of St. Montojja', 6)
('the rapier of the needle', 6)
('the staff of Creation', 3)
('the Sceptre of Chaos', 3)
('the shield of raw steel', 3)
('the boots of great speed', 3)
('the spiked armor of chaos and terror', 2)
('the amulet of raw steel', 2)
('the spiked maul of devastation "Foeslammer"', 1)
('the moloch boots "Moloch\'s Thorns"', 1)
('the crowned spiked helmet of chaos lordship', 1)
('the amulet of resurrection', 1)

04-15-2015 04:53 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by _Ln_
Wgetted flg files from ADOM european server(sorry if I put some strain on it, Alucard).
Wyrmlance did creep up to the top:
Which version of game was used for calculations?

Cause, iirc, Adom chooses set of artifacts on start [about half probably]. If let say Wyrmlance was/is/would be flagged incorrectly [as whole set of artifacts was in 1.1.1] and would be available in each game instead of half games it would be generated significantly more [halving current number puts her quite in line with other artifacts] without actually having weighted generation which is/would/could be applied on each random artifact generation.

Unluckily I do not think weight vs marked set can be differentiated without taking look at code.

04-15-2015 05:09 PM
jt said a bit more about how artifact selection works/was broken in 1.1.1 here. I suppose it's possible that Wyrmlance is the only artifact in more than one of the six groups?

04-15-2015 05:29 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Soirana
Which version of game was used for calculations?

Cause, iirc, Adom chooses set of artifacts on start [about half probably]. If let say Wyrmlance was/is/would be flagged incorrectly [as whole set of artifacts was in 1.1.1] and would be available in each game instead of half games it would be generated significantly more [halving current number puts her quite in line with other artifacts] without actually having weighted generation which is/would/could be applied on each random artifact generation.

Unluckily I do not think weight vs marked set can be differentiated without taking look at code.
You are right, I forgot about the unavailable artifacts thing. According to the bug tracker, it was fixed in prerelease 1.

I've fixed the script to filter out flgs that don't have version info (now they start from prerelease 5 with 5, 14, 16, 20, 23, and releases 49 and 51 being predominant). The difference is not much and Wyrmlance is still on the top. I'll update the results in the previous post.

There was also an issue with several flgs having a backup (10 cases), I've filtered out repeating names.

@wheals:
Possible. More the reason to fix this then! :D

04-15-2015 05:34 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by _Ln_
You are right, I forgot about the unavailable artifacts thing. According to the bug tracker, it was fixed in prerelease 1.
There are several cases when singleton items dodge fixes - like sling bullets were fixed to be fireable, but undead sling bullets are still bugged. So who knows?

I would honestly guess most of artifacts are more than in one group otherwise Adom would need more artifacts [I think it is possible gen more than 20 + some are rejected on start so 120+ would be needed]. Now if artifacts are not evenly distributed [let say one is in four groups, while another in three] is another question.

04-18-2015 09:37 AM
Ancient Member
what is the the 'amulet of resurrection' ???

04-18-2015 09:53 AM
Ancient Member
some boosted version of AoLS [gives extra stats on ressurection I believe]. It is belieevd to available on certain date [ressurection campaign one].

Apparently it does count as artifact.

12-12-2015 09:24 PM
I do seem to find this thing every damn game too...

12-13-2015 01:12 PM
I'm not 100% that I got that artifact more than others. But there are some artifact I just never get, such as bracer of war and protector....I would be for that all artifacts have equal chance to drop (pre-post crown, vault, shops etc).

+ Reply