Won't run on Gentoo 64bit (Linux)
issueid=3084 06-22-2014 06:35 PM
Number of reported issues by consolegrl: 1
Won't run on Gentoo 64bit (Linux)
None of the downloaded 1.2.0 pr23 packages for Linux will run on Gentoo 64bit due to the lack of a viable 64bit libvga.

I downloaded the game from <http://www.ancardia.com/download.html>, tried both:
- the Ubuntu build (wouldn't work because it was linked against pulseaudio)
- the Debian build (wouldn't work because it was linked against libvga)

Problem:
libvga is part of the package svgalib in Gentoo,
and that package has no viable build for amd64/x86_x64.
More specifically, there has been no activity on svgalib since 2003 as far as I can tell and
the source code contains 32bit assembly instructions that won't compile on a 64bit system.

Please make a version without pulseaudio,
and, if possible, without libvga.

Thank you.

PS: I tried downloading the binary packages from Ubuntu's automated build system, but alas they
are 32bit and ADOM still dosen't run. Gentoo's multilib system is different than Ubuntu's so I'm not surprised it didn't work,
was worth a shot however.
Issue Details
Issue Number 3084
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Linux (NotEye)
Status Won't Fix
Priority 1 - Highest
Affected Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 23
Fixed Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 0
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users jt
Tags (none)

06-22-2014 07:47 PM
Administrator
libvga is a dependency of SDL (1), not a direct dependency of ADOM. The next releases of ADOM will be using SDL2, so libvga shouldn't be a problem anymore.

06-23-2014 03:03 PM
The version of SDL you linked against was configured with libvga enabled, my SDL was not.
The game thinks it needs libvga because SDL thought it needed libvga when you linked it; once you link a binary static all libraries are direct dependencies of that binary.

SDL runs fine on my system using OpenGL and without libvga becuase libvga is a legacy library for pre-OpenGL hardware. I imagine it's configured in because you used the Ubuntu or Debian bin packages which just enable everything to support all hardware.

The problem is that even if I wanted to I can't install libvga on my system because it's not available for gentoo in a way thats compatible with its multi-lib support. I don't know how Ubunut's multi-lib support works, but clearly it's different.

Regardless, your 64bit builds don't need libvga in SDL as no modern hardware for 64bit uses svga.

So, what I'm saying is that if you want to support modern 64bit systems (which most are now) you'll need to build your own version of SDL and configure it without libvga (or svgalib, however it calls it) for your 64bit releases. Then you can build your game against that new SDL (with opengl, without libvga) for 64bit.

Cheers,
Kat

06-27-2014 06:58 PM
Administrator
Quote Originally Posted by consolegrl
once you link a binary all libraries are direct dependencies of that binary.
I must admit that I didn't know that. :)

Let's see how release 48 with the new SDL2 library works on Gentoo (I'm a big Gentoo fan myself, but I'm only using it on the ancardia.com server right now).

07-07-2014 06:30 AM
Issue Changed by adom-admin
  • User assignments modified

03-21-2018 12:38 PM
Issue Changed by jt
  • Status changed from Unconfirmed to Won't Fix

+ Reply