Sacrifice bug
issueid=3704 05-03-2015 04:56 PM
Number of reported issues by todhisgz: 1
Sacrifice bug
Items turned into dust for sacrificing C creature on N altair while being LN (REASON???)

Hello guys,
I've encountered a problem with sacrifices. My equipment has turned into dust for sacrificing a cooked orc scorcher corpse (Chaotic creature) on neutral altair while being LN alignment. I have made many sacrifices before that (with the same conditions) and god was allways very pleased. Now, for some reason, I have been punished for sacrificing "a favored sacrifice" and I just want to know what went wrong. Was it some BUG or is there some MAGIC REASON that explains why this happened??? Because i have lost few really good things and with that liking in playing ADOM.

Thanks for any response
Issue Details
Issue Number 3704
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Windows 8.1
Status Not a Bug
Priority 1 - Highest
Affected Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 23
Fixed Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 0
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users adom-admin
Tags (none)

05-03-2015 05:36 PM
This is actually not a bug: the issue here is that you were not of neutral alignment when you made the sacrifice. LN alignment means you are lawful on the verge of becoming neutral. if you have been NL instead the sacrifice would have been fine.

05-03-2015 08:32 PM
Interesting question: I see the confusion here, it seems like with NL and LN you are somehow both lawful and neutral, so that either altar might work.

current it goes N=, N+, NL, LN, L, L+. Would something like N=, N+, N++, L-, L, L+, be easier to understand for new players?

05-03-2015 08:56 PM
Ancient Member
Basically, your sacrifice was too small. The situation was something like this:

Lawful god is happy.
Neutral god is pissed.
Altar is neutral.
You are lawful.

When you sac on an altar, if the sacrifice is small, it usually goes to the god who owns the altar--in this case, the neutral god. Since he was pissed at you, you got your gear dusted. If the sacrifice was large enough, you would have converted the altar. Intermediate sized sacrifices might go to either god, so you might weaken the altar and strengthen the lawful god, or weaken your lawful piety and strengthen the neutral god. This latter situation is risky, since if two gods both have a stake in the altar, there's a good chance at least one of them is pissed at you.

tl;dr: Generally, you should not sacrifice at altars that are not your alignment unless you are intending to convert them (in which case, the sacrifice should be very large), or convert your alignment (in which case, the sacrifice should be 1 gold).

06-09-2015 08:03 PM
Issue Changed by jt
  • User assignments modified

03-21-2018 12:39 PM
Issue Changed by jt
  • Status changed from Unconfirmed to Not a Bug

+ Reply