Spawn aquatic beings in rivers
issueid=3931 10-15-2015 07:24 PM
Number of reported issues by ixi: 51
Spawn aquatic beings in rivers
Currently the only place where you can find aquatic beings is the underwater cave. Can some of them appear in rivers?

Most unspoiled players will never see aquatic beings. And all rivers in adom are just... empty. Can at least turtles be added there? Seeing eels and sharks rarely would be cool as well.

Eels / sharks should immediately die from suffocation if teleported out from the river.
Issue Details
Issue Number 3931
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 8
Suggested Version ADOM r61
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone Potential work pipeline
Votes for this feature 19
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

10-15-2015 10:22 PM
Yes, good point.

10-17-2015 09:13 PM
Yes. Just easy on the Giant Dragon Turtles and that thing that they do, at least at lower DL...

10-17-2015 09:38 PM
Ixi, you have some extremely popular RFE's. Way to go.

10-19-2015 05:34 PM
Ancient Member
This is an awesome, awesome idea. And some more creatures could be added, as I think all the current ones are quite high DL. We need a weak fish for low-DL levels.

10-19-2015 08:33 PM
Ancient Member
I like this idea. The only problem might be that I suspect that the AI is probably not smart enough to keep aquatic monsters in the water, so they'd stumble out and die all the time. This would presumably need to be fixed.

10-20-2015 05:33 AM
I think the most important point here is that this is a fun and interesting way to make players afraid of water, rather than this insta-rust baloney. Certain people waste so much time extolling design dead-ends like that that they forget there are simple and very effective alternatives.

10-20-2015 08:03 AM
Ancient Member
The penny just dropped as to why I keep getting you two guys confused with each other.

Because swap the first names and it is jellybird and grey slayer.

10-20-2015 09:03 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by gr3ybird
I think the most important point here is that this is a fun and interesting way to make players afraid of water, rather than this insta-rust baloney. Certain people waste so much time extolling design dead-ends like that that they forget there are simple and very effective alternatives.
I think the rusting mechanic is nice. It creates interesting tactics like throwing your sword over the river before swimming. And yeah, the fact that an item goes instantly from perfect to rusty isn't very realistic but then nothing in a game is, and there is not a simple realistic way to implement it (making a system of gradual "rust points" that grow slowly would be over the top).

The idea of aquatic beings is still great regardless of that, of course.

10-20-2015 11:01 AM
Well, the main reason for posting this is again impression. Seeing something empty never could be as good as seeing something detailed, worked through and filled with something.

In any way currently rivers are just borders to cross. With that change they could become part of battlefield. Especially taking rusting and drenching into account which are cool indeed.

+ Reply