Don't autosave the game while it is crashing
issueid=4973 09-15-2017 07:54 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Grond: 971
Don't autosave the game while it is crashing

Sometimes the game will autosave after it has begun to crash. Past examples include the bug with ascending from ADD:1, and the illegal bodypart glitch. This has a potential to ruin save files by making them unloadable.
Issue Details
Issue Number 4973
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 1 - Highest
Suggested Version ADOM 2.3.0 (r73)
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 2
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users adom-admin, jt
Tags (none)

09-16-2017 03:21 PM
It saved my game when crashing, so it's not all bad. Perhaps crashsave should make a separate file, not overwrite the autosave?

09-16-2017 04:00 PM
The Creator
Could you please clarify what you mean by "after it has begun to crash"? I'm not sure I understand that part... as soon as the "error of death" message is on the screen, auto-saving can't happen.

09-16-2017 04:22 PM
Ancient Member
The corrupted save file I've attached to 4951 illustrates the issue. The popup error message is displayed "Coordinates for item list out of range (-1, -1).", and then once you click OK the game saves and closes. If you want to see a save file become corrupted, you can look at the RuinMe file attached to 4891. Zapping a wand of trap creation on Gaab'Baay, and then leaving HMV, leads to a popup error message. Again, after clicking OK, the game saves and closes (and now the save file is ruined).

09-24-2017 06:21 PM
The Creator
IMHO the problem is that sometimes these saves work and sometimes they don't. Whether they work or not sadly really depends on the kind of error... so I'm not sure what the best approach would be. Because never saving would cause lost character data, too.

09-27-2017 12:32 PM
It doesn't seem to solve original issue submitted but what if the game was offering to load a backup in case of loading failure for main save? Not everyone, especially newbies, know that they could recover still...

10-18-2017 06:54 AM
Ancient Member
I lost at a least one real-life day's progress due to the game crashing upon saving: http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=5258

The backup save had the same filesize as the resulting svg file. When the crash happened a second time to my character, both the svg and the apparently identical backup were unloadable. The game should delete the previous backup only if the autosave was successful.

+ Reply