Game startup takes 15-20s without any indication of progress. Needs splash screen.
issueid=3495 12-19-2014 09:43 AM
Number of reported issues by aaneton: 3
Game startup takes 15-20s without any indication of progress. Needs splash screen.
Game takes some time to startup, a splash screen would be nice.

When starting the game I click on adom icon, the mouse cursor turns into timeglass for a few second then back to normal cursor. Then it takes 15-20s for game to start. This is quite a long time to wait without any indication if game is starting or not. A splash screen would help to realize the game is really starting up while waiting.
Issue Details
Issue Number 3495
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All Steam Versions
Status Rejected
Priority Unknown
Suggested Version ADOM r53
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone Initial Steam Release
Votes for this feature 1
Votes against this feature 1
Assigned Users jt
Tags (none)

12-19-2014 08:01 PM
My adom boots up almost instantly from the steam library. If you are accessing from the desktop steam usually chugs for a while especially if its not open already. What operating system are you on?

12-20-2014 10:19 AM
Delay happends even when steam is already running. However the game start immediately on my home computer (win7x64) aswell. Adom just seem to have strange issues and bugs on my work computer which is a thinkpad laptop running win7x64 on i7 with 16gb ram and a nividia opengl card (for cad stuff). Maybe the exotic NVIDIA Quadro K2000 opengl graphics card is to blame or some strict domain/access policies? anyway I can only repeate these bugs on my work computer so I guesss it might have some issues. I just started 3 weeks vacation and left laptop at work so I can't investigate more unless I go and get it from office (I might as I live near it).

However if anyone else has these issues, a splash screen goes a long way not confusing the user ;)

12-20-2014 12:31 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by aaneton
Delay happends even when steam is already running. However the game start immediately on my home computer (win7x64) aswell. Adom just seem to have strange issues and bugs on my work computer which is a thinkpad laptop running win7x64 on i7 with 16gb ram and a nividia opengl card (for cad stuff). Maybe the exotic NVIDIA Quadro K2000 opengl graphics card is to blame or some strict domain/access policies? anyway I can only repeate these bugs on my work computer so I guesss it might have some issues. I just started 3 weeks vacation and left laptop at work so I can't investigate more unless I go and get it from office (I might as I live near it).
For the record, I have a ThinkPad W530 with an NVidia Quadro K1000M (sigh, I wish they sold high-end ThinkPads with a "gaming" video card option like a GeForce GTX, instead of these CAD cards that cost like double or triple and perform worse, but it was the closest thing to my ideal laptop anyway), and also run Win 7 x64 on an i7, in my case with 8 GB RAM. I haven't had graphical problems and ADOM takes like 3 seconds to run from Steam.

12-20-2014 01:18 PM
Administrator
What happens if you try the normal R52 release on that computer?

ADOM now creates a logfile in the adom_steam directory:

%USERPROFILE%\Documents\ADOM\adom_steam\adom.log

It would be great if you could upload it once you have access to your work PC again.

03-05-2015 02:54 PM
The Creator
Closed as we have no new information enabling us to reproduce this.

03-05-2015 06:24 PM
Administrator
Also adding a splash screen is not an easy task... we would probably need some kind of "wrapper" program which displays the splash screen and then starts ADOM afterwards.

+ Reply