Can't see how far bolt has bounced back
issueid=4124 11-30-2015 08:43 PM
Number of reported issues by dai: 3
Can't see how far bolt has bounced back

When a lightning bolt bounces back along it's original path, because the original animation is still there it is very difficult (impossible?) to tell how far it has bounced back. It would be useful if the animation did not stay there for every tile until the entire bolt had finished progressing, or not all disappear at the same time.
Issue Details
Issue Number 4124
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Windows 7 (Steam)
Status Suggested
Priority Unknown
Suggested Version ADOM r63 (v2.0.2)
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 6
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

12-01-2015 04:10 AM
Doesn't it erase from the tail forward? It should

Example shooting east into wall (final number indicates the number of bolt segments currently drawn including overlap for the sake of review and discussion);

Code:
@.....# 0
@-....# 1
@--...# 2
@---..# 3
@----.# 4
@-----# 5
@-----# 6
@-----# 7
@-----# 8
@.----# 7
@..---# 6
@..---# 5
@..---# 4
@..---# 3
@..--.# 2
@..-..# 1
@.....# 0
... this makes it clear the bold was 8 tiles long (provided the delay is slow enough for the viewer to process), most simply because the last thing you see is the single tile that it finished on.

12-01-2015 02:06 PM
Ancient Member
If the animation speed is higher, you might not spot it, with everything else going on.

What if bolts had a final "termination" effect that happened at their endpoint - would always be able to just look for that effect.

12-01-2015 07:17 PM
Nethack has a good reflection animation with a short delay as I recall, I think it cycles -\|/ to create a star effect. Would that also help?

12-04-2015 11:20 PM
Looking at it again closely, I think there is a small termination effect: https://youtu.be/h4-aAImlKWE

However, I think it's quite hard to spot because the rest of the bolt is still there. I think it would be good if the older parts of the bolt disappeared in a more noticeable fashion, rather than all the bolt disapearing at the same time at the end.

12-08-2015 01:53 AM
The bolt animation vanishes too quickly after the bounce to really see where the lightning has bounced back to - I have the same problem. Until the first part of the bolt vanishes you can't see how far the second one travelled, so it just ends up looking like those two or three parts of the bolt hang on longer than the others. From the video the bounce against the wall seems to remain at a larger level than the terminus point of the bolt itself and you can't easily tell how far it extends afterward.
Maybe it'd help to make the terminal end of the bolt larger and more differentiated from the rest so it's obvious where it is at any given time?

12-08-2015 08:50 AM
I wonder how this can be fixed in ASCII. This problem is kinda ancient.

+ Reply