Metagaming
issueid=4860 07-19-2017 03:30 PM
Number of reported issues by mitres: 21
Metagaming
Improve in-game dynamics to reduce the need for metagaming

I'd like to see priority given to putting more information into the game so metagaming wasn't necessary to get through it. In-game NPC speech, scrolls, signs, clues on tiles, and other information should be there in the game. There will always be a place for external guides, but so much in this game relies on external information.
Issue Details
Issue Number 4860
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 1 - Highest
Suggested Version ADOM 2.3.0 (r73)
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 0
Votes against this feature 1
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

07-19-2017 04:18 PM
I think much of what you're suggesting is already there. For example, after doing the first quest in Terinyo, you'll be directed to the Caverns of Chaos by the Elder or the Druid. There's also supposed to be an element of mystery to the game - some things are supposed to be hard to figure out (the Assassin Prince's clue about Filk's location is deliberately cryptic, for example.)

Do you have any specific examples of things that are insufficiently clear from in-game play?

07-19-2017 08:37 PM
I'd integrate all the stuff which currently requires look into manual right into the game. Say skill and spell descriptions. I'd even give an option to display dices value ranges (e.g. 3d6+1 is 4-19) even though values from 4 to 19 aren't evenly distributed.

Another awesome thing which isn't coming in near future anyway could be item descriptions. Similar to monster memories with facts learned and well-known facts in ancardia. E.g. if you got a potion of quickling blood you could have a hint description that it might increase your speed. After driving a few potions you should probably know how much speed it could give.

07-24-2017 05:48 AM
The Creator
Item descriptions are extremely hard to do in ADOM as each and every item is hand-coded (and not based on flags and structures in most aspects like e.g. in Angband). That's a historic problem but can't be easily changed.

Regarding this RFE: Please provide very specific examples of what specific information you specifically would like to see in the game :-)

+ Reply