[RFE] use Tower of Fire to train Willpower, use herbs to train Appearance instead
issueid=3153 07-16-2014 05:10 PM
Number of reported issues by SinsI: 41
[RFE] use Tower of Fire to train Willpower, use herbs to train Appearance instead

It takes a lot of guts and willpower to step into fire by your own will.
So it makes sense that if you enter the Tower of Flames and take damage from fire there, that it can train your Willpower proportional to the damage taken. Maybe the training should also be inversely proportional to the amount of health you have left - if you are at 10 HP left, you train a lot, but if you are at full HP, you don't at all. At higher levels of Willpower, you have to also be higher into the tower to keep training.

In exchange, make morgia roots train not Willpower, but Appearance: vitamins are good for your skin and give healthy look. It doesn't make much sense that eating tasty minty herb should train your willpower.( Maybe if it was one of the damaging, vomiting or diseasing herbs, or something extremely nasty like cod liver oil)...

Pros: people get ability to train Appearance, removes scumming herbs for Willpower, incorporating it into gameplay instead; provides guaranteed method of Willpower training (no need to rely on RNG generator to create the right herbs) for everyone.
Cons: less useful herbalism skill, Willpower training will come later than normally, Willpower training will be available to everyone instead of only the characters with Herbalism.
Issue Details
Issue Number 3153
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Rejected
Priority Unknown
Suggested Version ADOM r49
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 0
Votes against this feature 9
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

07-16-2014 05:22 PM
Ancient Member
I think scumming tower damage for willpower is a worse game mechanic than scumming herbs.

07-16-2014 05:26 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Harwin
I think scumming tower damage for willpower is a worse game mechanic than scumming herbs.
Certainly - for scummers.
Walking around the high levels of Tower of Fire with low hitpoints and no fire immunity is much riskier than pressing w20 on a non-corrupting level in Caverns of Chaos.

07-16-2014 09:22 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by SinsI
Certainly - for scummers.
Walking around the high levels of Tower of Fire with low hitpoints and no fire immunity is much riskier than pressing w20 on a non-corrupting level in Caverns of Chaos.
I say that because the biggest reason (from what I see) that you mention as to why you want to change this is to prevent Willpower scumming via herbs.

Yes, it will provide a method to train appearance (Athletics already does this to some extent, I think).
Herbalism is not necessary for training Willpower. It helps a fair amount for Dex but not as much for willpower.

I don't really care for training methods that involve being foolish. This encourages you to take off your fire immunity for the tower. And if you happen to get crowned with =Fire(perhaps the most useful crowning immunity).... oh well, no way to train Willpower. If you get willpower drains late in the game then you have to go back to an old location just to raise willpower.

Other training methods generally don't involve being foolish. The closest would be being "Strained!" for Strength training, since "Strained!" comes with drawbacks, but it isn't pure downside. You are at least carrying more equipment so it's not all downside. This training method strikes me more akin to sickness training - doing deliberately harmful things to your character because that's how you get stats.

Edit:
Fictionally I like the idea that entering the Tower of Fire takes Willpower(no matter what your immunity). I wouldn't mind if it gave a 1 time training boost, but I also don't think that would affect much (if it was too powerful it would be weird)

07-16-2014 09:46 PM
Ancient Member
This is a bad solution to a problem that does not exist.

07-17-2014 06:25 AM
We have this old saying here in Japan: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." (or something like that ;))

TB just did a bunch of work to get herbs balanced - including fixing gardening, changing the way potentials are affected, etc. This would just mess all of that up, and for no good reason.

Voted no.

07-17-2014 09:39 PM
The Creator
I also do not see the benefits. Rejected.

+ Reply