Expand quest dialogs in ADOM
issueid=4808 07-02-2017 07:52 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Ravenmore: 38
Expand quest dialogs in ADOM
ADOM's quest descriptions can be vague in some areas, we should make them more detailed

All quests in ADOM rely on just a few lines of text to establish what to do next. Arguably some don't provide enough information. The best example is "Slay the demon terrorizing our village" quest from Thrundarr.

When I first saw it only recently I was really confused: what demon? where? is it below the village like ogres?

Only then you realize that the demon is already in the village. If it's a sudden attack surely Thrundarr would make it clear that it's happening NOW, is a sudden event rather a regular occurrence (like with Ogres) and so on. Perhaps more backstory here? Where did the demon come from anyway?

As an extension of this idea: maybe a "conversation history" tab is a good idea. Where you can see all messages from the major NPCs in ADOM. That way you could quickly refresh your memory about what you should be doing.
I know we have a "quests" window, but the quest descriptions there are even more short/vague than the original convarsations, in some cases that's not quite fair - the player has to either write down the info, or browse the hugely bloated message log for that particular conversation.

Bringing this up mostly because ADOM is renowned for having a story (and thus more RPG elements). In my impression the storytelling is very barebones, and could use some more fleshing-out if we're going to continue showcasing the RPG aspects.
Issue Details
Issue Number 4808
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Implemented
Priority 2
Suggested Version ADOM 2.3.0 (r73)
Implemented Version ADOM 2.3.0 (r73)
Milestone "Ease of Use" UI
Votes for this feature 3
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

07-04-2017 12:11 PM
Issue Changed by adom-admin