Better stat draining notifications
issueid=4517 10-06-2016 12:01 AM
Number of reported issues by cenho09: 8
Better stat draining notifications
Red text for when an attribute stat is decreased ALL of the time

So, I'm not good at the ADoM. There are many things I've yet to learn and one of them is which particular monsters can drain stats. However, I learn which ones do because red text most of the time appears when a stat is drained.

I've just hit a major crutch in my game as I went into a greater vault unknowing of the enemies that could drain my stats. If I would have gotten one notification: Your muscles soften or (more) prompt, I would have known that I should avoid them. Because of how much text scrolls by: I didnt read it all, but having me stop to press the space bar or at least have red text scroll by would have caught my attention and told me to nope out of there. By the time I noticed (which is entirely my fault) all my stats were drained to less than 10 base.

While the story I mentioned wouldn't happen to experienced players, for newer players like me, I feel like a stat being drained is important enough for at least a (more) prompt, because this mistake on my part threw the last 10 hours of this run down the toilet and I'm salty.
Issue Details
Issue Number 4517
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 2
Suggested Version ADOM r69 (v2.2.3)
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 9
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

10-06-2016 12:37 AM
Getting your stats drained always sucks, and I would agree that the messages ought to be at least colored red so it stands out. It happens sometimes, but needs to happen always.

Out of curiosity, what kind of vault was it? The classic greater undead?

10-06-2016 12:41 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Bieks
Getting your stats drained always sucks, and I would agree that the messages ought to be at least colored red so it stands out. It happens sometimes, but needs to happen always.

Out of curiosity, what kind of vault was it? The classic greater undead?
Mhm, I just thought lich kings were stronger liches. RIP.

Also, I never said that stat draining shouldnt happen, I just want it to at least have red text cause it's importance contrasts heavily with same-colored messages like "The skeleton misses you"

10-06-2016 12:44 AM
Yeah I got that and I agree with you :)

edit for clarification: I meant with the last part of my previous post that the game notifies you of your stats being drained some times, but it should always notify you. Some monsters don't seem to generate the red text.

10-06-2016 08:34 AM
Ancient Member
Isn't this something that can be set in adom.msg?
IIRC, there is a variable :no_skip which forces the following messages to require the more prompt.
On the other hand, in my own adom.msg I can see stat loss messages under the no_skip variable already.
Not sure what is the default setting.

10-19-2016 04:24 PM
Ancient Member
The default stat drain messages in adom.msg have a period afterwards (e.g. "Your muscles soften."), but the messages for the stat drain spell actually have an exclamation point afterwards, so adom.msg needs to have lines for those versions of the message (e.g. "Your muscles soften!").

+ Reply