Monsters Seem to be Blind Raging More Frequently Since r68
issueid=4560 10-21-2016 05:14 AM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Grond: 971
Monsters Seem to be Blind Raging More Frequently Since r68

The chance of a monster fighting to the death in a blind rage was supposed to be slightly reduced in r68 (http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=4403). Anecdotal evidence from myself an couple others is that monsters seem to be blind raging more frequently.

I put this to the test, comparing the same character between r64 and r69. The character is a level one gnome beastfighter with +8, 1d4+9 melee attack. The test is to wish for a troll, and then fight it until it dies or panics. I did this 50 times in each version.
r64 results: 6 blind rages, 14 panics
r69 results: 24 blind rages, 0 panics
Issue Details
Issue Number 4560
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Unconfirmed
Priority 3
Affected Version ADOM r69 (v2.2.3)
Fixed Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 2
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

10-21-2016 02:44 PM
Ancient Member
Thanks for the testing. This also confirms my 'no panicking' report (which has 0 confirmations as reproducible).

10-21-2016 07:09 PM
Ancient Member
I have seen monsters run away from me in r69 (level 20 unarmed necromancer vs greater giant vault). Unfortunately, I can't remember whether this was normal panic, or monsters going into a blind rage and then panicking. But it does seem like something has happened to both rage and panic rates.

10-21-2016 07:25 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Grond
I have seen monsters run away from me in r69 (level 20 unarmed necromancer vs greater giant vault). Unfortunately, I can't remember whether this was normal panic, or monsters going into a blind rage and then panicking. But it does seem like something has happened to both rage and panic rates.
Yeah, you see panics once in a blue moon, but I don't think you can achieve it in ordinary combat. I remember I used to use panics as a risky tactic for dealing with cats, kicking them in coward mode to low health and hoping they chicken out. It worked sometimes. I would never try it in the current version. Chance of succeeding: 0%.

10-22-2016 04:31 AM
Ancient Member
The only monsters I've seen panicking were ancient red dragon from great vault. Maybe some issue with monster IQ...(Although high IQ stuff were always more prone to panicking)

+ Reply