Change the quit prompt somewhat.
issueid=2417 10-25-2013 02:53 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Stingray1: 97
Change the quit prompt somewhat.

Long time players have saved many ADoM games. They press 'S' and 'y' to save a game without reading the prompt.

The command to quit the game is 'Q' and then one is prompted whether you really want to quit, 'y' being affirmative.

On a qwerty keyboard it is easy to fatfinger the q key instead of the s key and then accidentily quit a game instead of saving it.

Can we somehow change the quit prompt so that answering 'y' will not quit the game and instead 'n' will result in a quit.

Maybe, "You are about to quit this game, losing the character forever. Do you want to rather continue this game? [Y, n]"
Issue Details
Issue Number 2417
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 8
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 18
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 2
Votes against this feature 21
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

10-26-2013 06:26 PM
Good point, I didn't think about that drawback.

Technically doing mistake about quit/save game is same as choosing accidentally potion of poison instead of potion of ultra healing when clicking wrong key within potion list (or maybe we should also put a prompt before drinking potion ;D). I think that further discussion is meaningless and we should just leave it as it is.

11-08-2013 02:48 PM
Perhaps the default key for the save prompt could be Y instead of N. That way, players can teach themselves to press S and spacebar to confirm instead of S and y, which would make accidentally hitting quit a lot less detrimental (since the default action there is N, obviously)

11-08-2013 05:21 PM
maybe make it so you need to confirm it with a capital Y?

12-18-2013 04:12 PM
THere is a feature in nethack, which you can set to true or false in the option, Paranoid_quit. This means that if you want to 'Q'uit, instead of a y/n prompt, you must actually type 'yes´ for it to do that. I find it quite useful.

12-18-2013 06:46 PM
Administrator
I like this idea...

12-18-2013 07:26 PM
If this is implemented, Porkman's suggestion sounds best.

I've played this game since mid-1990's ad I've never lost a character by accidentally quitting instead of saving, so don't feel the need for extra confirmations.

12-18-2013 07:40 PM
Ancient Member
The fact of the matter remains, even if one person loses two characters due to accidently pressing Qy, it is one too many. It is your own clumsiness, yes, but you do not deserve to be punished for such an error. In my opinion. The times I have pressed Q instead of S was after long sessions, I made a conscious decision that I'm going to make mistakes if I continue playing further. So, I decide to save, but I'm knackered and indeed make a fatal error. Not fair man.

I also like the idea Porkman supplied.

12-18-2013 10:13 PM
While I never lost a character this way in 15 years of playing ADOM and also would not enjoy any additional annoyances in "rollscumming" (esp. since Chaos Knights appeared), I'd support Porkman's idea of porting over Paranoid Quit option.

12-18-2013 11:46 PM
Ancient Member
What Porkman mentioned is a good middle point between this RFE and current behavior.

12-19-2013 01:48 AM
I second (third? Fourth? Fifth? Whatever!) the ability to set 'paranoid_quit'. I, myself, would never use it. *HOWEVER*, I can see it being very useful, as I *have* once... and only once... fatfingered a 'Quit' instead of 'Save' and destroyed a hopeful character. I can understand some people having similar paranoia, and *would* use it. With this being an option, rather than the standard, I'm all for it.

12-19-2013 07:43 AM
Ancient Member
Maybe another RFE should be open for paranoid_quit then, as the current one has a lot of downvotes which weren't related to that.

I'd make it default anyway. Noobs probably will want it, and rollscummers (I don't really know why we need to make rollscumming easy, but oh well) can just go and deactivate it.

12-19-2013 12:05 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Kurasu
With this being an option, rather than the standard, I'm all for it.
Same here.

12-19-2013 01:15 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Al-Khwarizmi
I'd make it default anyway. Noobs probably will want it
I'd even say that after millions of characters lost to shift-Q instead of shift-S everyone will want it by default!

12-19-2013 01:46 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Al-Khwarizmi
Maybe another RFE should be open for paranoid_quit then, as the current one has a lot of downvotes which weren't related to that.

I'd make it default anyway. Noobs probably will want it, and rollscummers (I don't really know why we need to make rollscumming easy, but oh well) can just go and deactivate it.

Done. http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=2568

12-19-2013 02:13 PM
Ancient Member
It is your own clumsiness, yes, but you do not deserve to be punished for such an error. In my opinion.
I can say the exact same thing about cats. I never really mean to kill any of them but sometimes I'm clumsy while moving around (more often than not) and the damn cat gets killed.
Going with this line of thought, I want an adom.cfg line ATTACK_HOSTILE_CATS=FALSE. I don't want to be punished for clumsiness error. Just my opinion.
Whenever I try to accidentally attack a cat, I will have to type "cat" first. Sounds great.

12-19-2013 02:54 PM
Ancient Member
If you see a cat and you don't want to attack it, you simply don't push the directional key it its direction. Simple to do.

Quitting and saving is completely unrelated to pressing the wrong directional key when a cat is near.

As has been explained before Q and S are close together on the keyboard and both produce a y/n prompt. And it does not kill a cat, but rather ends a game or pauses it.

12-19-2013 11:23 PM
Ancient Member
Well, I find that q and s are actually quite far apart, but sure it's true that mispresses happen and if you purposefully take a narrow view, there's no difference in attacking a cat in haste and quitting in haste.

If you actually think about it, though, there's a pretty obvious difference in that quitting mispress are external to the game world, while the large class of other mispresses that includes accidentally hitting a cat is internal to the game world. Both are equally easily avoided by paying attention, but I think most reasonable people would agree that mispresses that have no effect on the game world (e.g. saving vs quitting) should have a much different standard wrt consequences.

10-19-2016 08:46 PM
+1 for the paranoid "yes" confirmation.
Have just lost a game after investing hours of my life into it. There is nothing wrong with this happening due to making a bad in-game decision, but there is no reason for anyone ever to lose their character just from being tired and hitting Q to quit and save instead of S.

10-20-2016 03:56 AM
I have lost a character once, using Q .. rather than S? ..I forget .. it was a long time ago. It was definitely one of those 3:00am or 4:00am things where the mind wasn't thinking straight.

My solution was simple: I removed the binding to Q from ADOMs keyboard definitons. If I really want to quit a character (which is rare) I'll just save the game, then delete it. Has served me well for years.

That said, I like the paranoid_quit option. That's quite a smart one. I'll go to that thread and up-vote it.

10-20-2016 06:34 AM
I also have lost one character to accidentally quitting, probably back in 2001. It was my first promising ultra candidate.

That day, I changed my quit keybinding from Q to :Q and have from that moment on had no problems whatsoever with clumsy fingers.

Definite no-no to changing the Y/N logic in quit query. If people want the paranoid_quit feature, I might vote for it, but most likely not use it.

+ Reply