allow pick locks skill to bypass traps
issueid=4561 10-21-2016 03:29 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by auricbond: 264
allow pick locks skill to bypass traps

The value of the skill is minor otherwise. It can be obsoleted by throwing enough cash at Skriek. So it's a competition of saving cash versus saving skillpoints for other skills.

If this seems too good, maybe have the trap bypassing effect work only if you have firstly detected the trap.
Issue Details
Issue Number 4561
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 8
Suggested Version ADOM 2.3.0 (r73)
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 4
Votes against this feature 4
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

10-24-2016 08:18 AM
While it's true that having enough keys makes this skill obsolete for doors, I don't want to see this change. It makes sense to me that traps and locks are sufficiently different that you need both skills, and failing a skill roll for traps might set off the trap, so it should be something the PC actively chooses to do (or not).
Further, disarm traps is useful to get out of the gremlin cave, to get rid of corruption traps if you don't want a level to spawn writhing masses, and so on.

10-24-2016 10:11 AM
I support this RFE, mainly because picking locks is utterly useless nowadays, and the only dangerous thing with doors are the door traps. Why would anyone want to use the skill on a non-trapped door when all PCs have two healthy feet to kick with?

Picking locks is one of the most useless skills currently, alongside with appraising, haggling, law and woodcraft.

10-24-2016 02:04 PM
Ancient Member
I should say that it does have a situational use... you can apply it on an unlocked door to lock it. Could use it in for e.g. darkforge to stop enemies sneaking up behind you. Keys have the disadvantage that they might break, although I think if you buy enough (say, the same as it takes to buy lockpicks from yergius) you're usually good to go.

10-24-2016 04:43 PM
It's a great skill! When I play a thief, I use it all the time to pacify levels, locking off all of a dungeon except the path between the stairs. For example, you don't want to be leading Yriggs back to the healer and find yourself stuck in a corridor with a hostile monster in front of you and Yriggs behind. The skill can prevent that scenario from happening. It's also good for caging cats, keeping monsters from picking up your stashed items, and so on. Yes, it's more useful in the early game, but so are a lot of skills.
Now I agree that between buying Open Locks and buying a ton of keys, it's a toss-up. But open locks isn't useless, and neither is disarm traps.

10-27-2016 06:21 PM
I support. Kicking is much easier and even gives you some sticks and minor St training. Locking doors is very situational and ADOM has lots of monster who doesn't care about locked doors at all (smashing it, teleporting over or travelling though it).
Also blessed keys are safer exactly because of the traps...

10-27-2016 06:49 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by BenMathiesen
It's a great skill! When I play a thief, I use it all the time to pacify levels, locking off all of a dungeon except the path between the stairs. For example, you don't want to be leading Yriggs back to the healer and find yourself stuck in a corridor with a hostile monster in front of you and Yriggs behind. The skill can prevent that scenario from happening. It's also good for caging cats, keeping monsters from picking up your stashed items, and so on. Yes, it's more useful in the early game, but so are a lot of skills.
Now I agree that between buying Open Locks and buying a ton of keys, it's a toss-up. But open locks isn't useless, and neither is disarm traps.
This is mostly how I use it. I actually really like this skill... it has a lot of strategic uses in early game and even well into midgame. Disarm traps, actually, is the skill that is, IMHO, underpowered since you need to detect the trap anyway, and then stand a decent chance of it blowing up in your face unless your skill is pretty high.

I wouldn't mind seeing Open Locks and Disarm Traps combined into a single skill that includes the suggested functionality...

+ Reply