"Splash: recv failed" Web Start error when launching JADE
issueid=197 07-02-2011 09:13 PM
Number of reported issues by beerslayer: 9
"Splash: recv failed" Web Start error when launching JADE

I get an error from Java(TM) Web Start 1.6.0_25 when launching JADE:

"Splash: recv failed" [OK]

This doesn't happen every time I launch JADE, but it does happen occasionally. Also, sometimes Web Start will continue for a short while (but eventually dies) after dismissing the error dialog, and sometimes it exits immediately. I haven't been able to isolate any conditions that cause this situation to occur.

UPDATE: the problem is now happening every time I try to launch JADE, and I haven't been successful in launching it at all today. :(
Issue Details
Issue Number 197
Project ADOM II (formerly known as JADE)
Category Unknown
Status Won't Fix
Priority 5 - Medium
Affected Version Unknown
Fixed Version (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 1
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

07-02-2011 09:34 PM
Stranger and stranger - suddenly JADE has started working again. I don't know if Web Start is having problems due to something JADE is doing or not, but I don't use any other programs that use Web Start (I didn't even know I had it installed until JADE was released) and so I don't know what else might have caused the problem.

07-03-2011 07:16 PM
UPDATE: I think I've figured out what's happening here. This message only seems to occur when I try to launch JADE from a computer that is NOT connected to the Internet. Apparently it is trying to receive ("recv") something over the Internet and failing.

If I have all of the components of JADE downloaded onto my computer from a previous launch, is there truly a need to fetch something over the Internet in order to launch it again? Is there a good reason why JADE cannot be made to work off-line? Or is this a built-in "feature" of Web Start?

07-03-2011 08:09 PM
nathrakh
This happened to me too because my firewall blocked the application's access to internet.

07-04-2011 02:36 PM
I can confirm that, at least on my laptop (running Ubuntu 11.04), there's no problems running the game without internet access. I tried running it while on the train (no internet available), and there wasn't any problem whatsoever.

This may be a bug in a particular version of Web Start, or something.

07-04-2011 06:22 PM
Possible. What's interesting is that the shortcut created for JADE contains the following command line:
Code:
C:\Windows\System32\javaws.exe -localfile -offline "[%userprofile%]\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\9\45bc4d49-2c33fa39"
(for [%userprofile] substitute the actual value of that environment variable).

So if the -offline parameter does what it seems like it ought to do, or at least what I'd guess it was intended to do, the program ought to work offline.

When I run Web Start manually, without any parameters, it puts up a "usage" dialog showing various options. One of the other possible parameters is -Xnosplash, which claims to "run without showing a splash screen". I assume this means "no Web Start splash", not "no JADE splash". I wonder if it would be worthwhile to add this parameter to the command line.

I'll play around with some of this stuff later when I'm offline, just to see what happens.

For what it's worth, my PC is running Vista SP2 (32-bit), and I have Java(TM) Web Start 1.6.0_25 installed.

UPDATE: OK, now I'm baffled: This error seems to occur on my PC completely at random. I've had it appear or not appear whether or not I am online. I have not yet been able to isolate a definite trigger, but internet connectivity (or lack thereof) does not appear to be the cause after all.

08-15-2011 03:29 PM
still getting a lot of this errors :( i would have to restart pc until the game starts. can we please get a start screen after saving and death ? i don't think there is any important reason for the game to exit after save and death

08-15-2011 05:52 PM
did you try removing all JADE versions and installing 0.1.3? Probably won't help, but an easy step anyhow

08-18-2011 07:28 PM
The Creator
Please try the advice I explained in http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=383

Does that help?

08-19-2011 03:22 PM
wow how did i missed it. it seems to be working. but still isn't the most user friendly solution :P

08-19-2011 05:12 PM

08-19-2011 05:20 PM
The Creator
Hopefully at some point Java Web Start will get fixed.

+ Reply