Reduce ammunition destruction rate
issueid=2957 05-09-2014 10:40 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by _Ln_: 97
Reduce ammunition destruction rate

I don't know when this was changed, but in p22 it seems like arrows/quarrels get destroyed much more often (probably with the special message "your -foo- is destroyed upon impact!" which gets absolutely ridiculous when you miss the monster). I don't whether this was intended as a nerf to slaying ammunition, but right now it makes using it extremely unreliable in comparison to previous versions which seems like a further imbalancing towards magic-oriented characters.
Issue Details
Issue Number 2957
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Implemented
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 23
Implemented Version ADOM r48
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 15
Votes against this feature 2
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

05-12-2014 08:11 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by sylph
I just realised that this effect applies to throwing weapons (I just threw a sword at someone and it broke). I think that's awful, and takes away the single advantage that alternative ranged attacks used to enjoy!
:P

05-12-2014 09:43 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by sylph
I just realised that this effect applies to throwing weapons (I just threw a sword at someone and it broke). I think that's awful, and takes away the single advantage that alternative ranged attacks used to enjoy!
Haha :D
It's all or none.

I stand by my earlier assessment that higher metal missiles should not break at all - I believe they are made entirely out of the same metal rather than being a combination of arrowhead + wooden shaft.
After all, take eternium spears or any eternium pole arm for example. They cannot be destroyed by fire, lightning or explosions, they don't rust or corrode.
Normally a spear would also be made of long wooden shaft and metal blade (much like a big arrow, this is a mental shortcut though).
Stands to reason that the wooden part of an eternium weapon should be destructible in the above circumstances, yet it is not.

I see the same reasoning behind eternium missiles.
Perhaps for mithril and adamantium, the chance of destruction upon impact should simply be lowered to ~10% of the current chance.
Higher metal missiles are sufficiently rare that it won't make them too powerful.
They also retain their current to-hit and to-damage variable bonuses which further makes stacking difficult.

06-29-2014 12:12 PM
The Creator
I do not believe in totally reversing the change but also do not believe in overly big probabilities of breaking stuff so I basically fiddled with the formulae:
- all in all breakage should be down about 1/3 with some specialties
- weapons designed to be thrown once more are far less likely to break
- there is some differentiation between slings/arrows on one hand and bullets on the hand

BTW blessing missiles has been more important with the new formula (since p22 or so) as this reduces breakage probabilities quite a bit.

+ Reply