Waldenbrook's Sting Operation?
issueid=6044 02-19-2018 09:38 PM
Number of reported issues by mitres: 21
Waldenbrook's Sting Operation?

You can pick up an item in his shop while Invis, get a "Be careful with that," message, but he doesn't block the doorway. So you walk out and get attacked. This may be as intended, dunno... But kind of confusing. Oh I see it happens in other shops too.
Issue Details
Issue Number 6044
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Fixed
Priority 5 - Medium
Affected Version ADOM 3.0.6
Fixed Version ADOM 3.1.1
Milestone Important Bugfixes
Users able to reproduce bug 1
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users adom-admin
Tags (none)

02-20-2018 09:28 AM
Ancient Member
What bothers me more is that apparently the only shopkeeper in the game you can rob with invis, is Barnabas.
Every other shopkeeper instantly sees through invis. I don't think that's intended behavior and it might be related to Wladenbrook's strange behavior.

02-20-2018 11:54 AM
I'm pretty sure I've invis-stolen from shops other than the black market, but I haven't tested recently.
From the times I've tried, I know it depends heavily on Stealth skill as well as being invisible. If you're invisible and stealthy the first time you enter line of sight (or even better, teleport into the shop), then you usually have a handful of turns to pick stuff up before they notice you.
As for the sting, check whether you owe money on the item you picked up. If you're invisible and the shopkeeper knows you're there, stuff you pick up will still show a price in your inventory. But it's wierd that he let you leave the store.

02-21-2018 07:32 PM
Quote Originally Posted by BenMathiesen
I'm pretty sure I've invis-stolen from shops other than the black market, but I haven't tested recently.
From the times I've tried, I know it depends heavily on Stealth skill as well as being invisible. If you're invisible and stealthy the first time you enter line of sight (or even better, teleport into the shop), then you usually have a handful of turns to pick stuff up before they notice you.
As for the sting, check whether you owe money on the item you picked up. If you're invisible and the shopkeeper knows you're there, stuff you pick up will still show a price in your inventory. But it's wierd that he let you leave the store.
It is *much* easier if you are never invisible on that level till the very last moment.
I.e. you walk into the shop, gather everything valuable on one square, drink invisibility potion and proceed to grab the most expensive things.

02-22-2018 05:43 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by SinsI
It is *much* easier if you are never invisible on that level till the very last moment.
I.e. you walk into the shop, gather everything valuable on one square, drink invisibility potion and proceed to grab the most expensive things.
This is exactly what I do. Gather stuff first, drink potion of invis and start picking up the very next turn.
I did this with lvl 1 chars that started with a pot of invis and either no stealth or very low values, it doesn't have an impact.
With other shopkeepers, like ones generated in UD for example, when I walk into the store like I would in bandit town, collect items and stash them, then drink the potion, I don't get the usual "shopkeeper stares intently at your position".
That message indicates he's seen through your invisibility.
I pick up an item and the shoppie just announces one of his standard lines, like "take time to examine this" etc.
No information about seeing through invis at all.

I have visited shops with high-level thieves and assassins, with maxed stealth and the related talents but it's all the same.

02-23-2018 06:50 PM
That sounds like it might be unintentional... I've never tried stealing that way because I assumed the shopkeeper would know I was there if I was in the shop when I disappeared.
Ben

03-01-2018 04:53 PM
The Creator
I have fixed the problem with the comments. Something broke there when I rewrote the pick/drop code.

Regarding invisibility: Shopkeepers always had a 1:12 chance to detect you when picking up stuff while invisible, etc. For a very long time (many years) shopkeepers on levels of danger level 6+ always detected you. So there is nothing new here.

I have reduced the 1:12 chance by now taking stealth into account (which ADOM didn't do so far).

Additionally the danger level requirement now also takes stealth into account.

03-01-2018 05:35 PM
Ancient Member
Awesome! Does the stealthy talent apply to this somehow too?

03-01-2018 08:04 PM
Don't they also detect you eventually while walking around the shop invisible, even if you don't pick items up?

+ Reply