Jumping backward from trapped doors is messed up
issueid=4841 07-12-2017 01:44 AM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Grond: 971
Jumping backward from trapped doors is messed up

When dodging a trick door the PC attempts to move into the space they were in before triggering the trap. For player-created doors (or player-trapped doors), it's possible for this space to be the door itself. In this case, the PC can dodge by jumping "backwards" through the falling door. In addition, the space the PC moved from is not stored in the save file, so saving and reloading changes whether the PC can dodge an adjacent trapped door. The overall behavior would make more sense if "backwards" was defined by the PC's position relative to the door (i.e. if the PC is south of the door, they are facing north to open/kick the door, and should therefore move south when jumping backward).
Issue Details
Issue Number 4841
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Unconfirmed
Priority 8
Affected Version ADOM r72 (v2.2.6)
Fixed Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 0
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

07-12-2017 07:40 AM
Hey Grond,

Your PC jumps back to the square from where it has moved to the door. I assume if there is no such square you're getting such a message. It was confirmed as intended earlier.

07-12-2017 04:47 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by ixi
Hey Grond,

Your PC jumps back to the square from where it has moved to the door. I assume if there is no such square you're getting such a message. It was confirmed as intended earlier.
Ahhh, neat. But it also leads to nonsensical behavior:
  1. With player-created doors, the square the PC moved from can be the door itself. In this case the PC's "backwards" jump takes them through the falling door.
  2. Saving the game alters whether you are able to dodge a falling door, since the last movement information doesn't appear to be saved.

Original bug report (2102) was marked as "Won't Fix", but I think the behavior is silly enough to warrant a change - will update this report.

07-12-2017 06:48 PM
I'm impressed by your extensive ability to locate bugs :D

+ Reply