[RFE] Sort item categories in inventory by name/amount of charges/number of stacked items/type etc.
issueid=2668 01-22-2014 08:36 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Blasphemous: 110
[RFE] Sort item categories in inventory by name/amount of charges/number of stacked items/type etc.

Related to discussion here: http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=2173

I would like to suggest implementing options for the player to sort items by a selected feature.
Right now wands for example, seem to be grouped totally at random. Sometimes, one wishes to cast one wand after another consecutively and this randomity makes it a very tedious and annoying work.
Instead maybe we could have wands sorted alphabetically? When many wands of the same type are in PC's possesion, they could be sorted from most charges to least, with B/U/C status included.
That way 'z' command would be a much more streamlined way to use them and browsing inventory to drop unwanted wands would also be simplified.

The same applies to potions. Currently, many potions, even if they only differ in B/U/C status will be randomly distributed all over potion category.
Alphabetic order would be very nice here as well, with B/U/C status again taken into consideration as well as number of items in a stack.
Books are already sorted alphabetically from my experience, no?

Other groups of items that are usually abundant by mid-late game in PC's inventory are rings and scrolls, but virtually all item categories would benefit from this.
Missiles are kind of separate issue. It's critical to have arrows, quarrels, sling bullets, rocks and throwing weapons grouped separately and not mixed up like right now.
This would be archer's wet dream, but since ranged combat is so useful, all classes would benefit from this.

A very important thing would be to also add sorting to extended drop&pickup menus, since they are also commonly used, often at stores.
Personally I'm a pack rat - reading blessed scroll of ID, then sorting through 50k stones of equipment after clearing 2 greater vaults is no fun when I want to keep 5% of items of different types.
Issue Details
Issue Number 2668
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Windows 7
Status Suggested
Priority 3
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 21
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 8
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

01-22-2014 08:39 PM
Ancient Member
I like this idea and would find it very useful, but I think it would have to be implemented such that all un-ID'd stuff was below ID'd stuff in generated order or what have you. Otherwise, you get situation where it is very easy to ID things based on where it is in inventory, which would be kind of dumb.

01-22-2014 08:48 PM
Ancient Member
Well, of course, un-ided stuff goes to the bottom. Also, I read one of the posts again in the thread that I cited and wanted to point out that suffixes and prefixes related not just to missiles but to armors and melee weapons should also be included in sorting.
Problem is this:
Eternium plate mail will be close to the top of the list, but white eternium plate mail will be at the bottom.
We'd have to agree on how to sort them best, by armor type or by name, including prefixes?
Same goes for weapons, for missiles made of different materials etc.

02-05-2014 06:29 PM
Ancient Member
Additional idea: Sometimes when reading stuff, when you have a lot of scrolls and books, you need to scroll down with "+" in order to get to the books you wish to read.
I would like to propose implementation of a shortcut, much like when browsing general inventory - when you 'r'ead something, pressing ' ? ' will only display scrolls, while pressing ' " ' will only display books.
That way it will be easier to learn spells without having to scroll down through all the scrolls that you don't want to read. The way it works right now should also be retained, just for the sake of people's habits.

07-14-2017 05:14 PM
Ancient Member
Bumping this up, as UI improvements are getting looked at now. Doing this type of sorting automatically would be a big improvement; currently, the inventory gets so messy that I end up using text-filtering for pretty much everything.

07-14-2017 06:10 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous
Additional idea: Sometimes when reading stuff, when you have a lot of scrolls and books, you need to scroll down with "+" in order to get to the books you wish to read.
I would like to propose implementation of a shortcut, much like when browsing general inventory - when you 'r'ead something, pressing ' ? ' will only display scrolls, while pressing ' " ' will only display books.
Created a separate RFE for this: 4849.

+ Reply