Make CKs more playable
issueid=5446 10-18-2017 10:04 PM
Number of reported issues by Harkila: 154
Make CKs more playable

Chaos knights are currently an extremely linear class, especially in the early game. Basically what you can do is get healing from the mad doctor, then either enter the UD or go straight to CoC. And even then it takes very long before there's even the chance of starting to play anything else than C-, because it requires crazy amounts of gold to even get to C, not to mention N which then would allow at least some options in-game.

The following changes should make them a bit more flexible in the early game:
- make them start C, not C-. This would at least allow precrownings.
- make ratlings (Skriek and arena ratlings) sell their stuff also to chaotic CKs. They are traders after all, so they shouldn't be picky about who they get their cash from.
- make it somewhat easier to raise towards law. Half or 1/3 of the current effort. Right now, it's just very boring grinding on altars to get anywhere from C-. The tradeoff is anyway the fire damage so you still want to reconsider whether you want the damage in the early game.

I like the idea that they are villains and found repulsive by many NPCs, but the current setup is just massively limiting, and not even in an immersive way.
Issue Details
Issue Number 5446
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version ADOM 2.3.6
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 4
Votes against this feature 5
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

10-18-2017 10:07 PM
It also sucks that certain things are closed to Chaos Knights (like parts of the new quests that were added recently). I would like to be able to do those quests OR have an equivalent quest that has to do something with spreading chaos for CK's.

I also agree with what was posted for this RFE

10-18-2017 10:15 PM
I agree that they're rather boring to play.

I disapprove of grinding in general, so I don't like the grindiness to change alignment. HOWEVER, I also think it shouldn't be easy for CKs to become Lawful.

Ideally I think they need their own early/mid game quests, including a path to redemption quest which is very difficult and which gives with a massive lawful boost. But that's quite a lot of work for one niche (advanced player) class!

10-18-2017 11:01 PM
I also think that the best solution for chaos knights is to add more low-level chaotic quest content. Maybe the chaos diplomat could have a bigger role in the game, if the players decide to free him? Or maybe the mad doctors are all related to each other, and want help from a chaotic character for something. Maybe the overlord from the strange message is a real person somewhere. That sort of thing!

Kherab is nice, but it's difficult to reach him for a chat at levels < 15.

10-19-2017 04:46 AM
Ancient Member
i think they just need more chaotic quests tbh.

they are a massive grind at the moment, your best bet is actually to go into the ID and level up there.

10-19-2017 05:58 AM
Just to clarify: I also fully support the addition of more low-level chaotic quests. But they and this suggestion aren't mutually exclusive. :)

I just wanted to suggest a few quick fixes to the CKs in general, as these things IMHO need repair regardless of new content. And once they are done, possibly to submit an RFE about new quests.

10-19-2017 08:59 AM
As a fan of CK - and i played them all full chaotic all of the game till OCG ending(or death) - i disagree with suggestions to make their non-C life easier or to make switching from C easier. Being CK is being C with additional downsides, for normie life you have all the other classes. CK have their unique schtick, and adding ways to avoid it instead of enchancing it seems counterproductive to me.

On the other hands more chaotic quests, more alternative quest starts available for chaotics and chaotic solutions for existing quests are always welcome.

Also i don't understand why ID is the best place to level, or where is the massive grind in CK life.

10-19-2017 06:35 PM
When I play a CK, I like to learn pick pockets, then go straight through the UD. I have a blast until I get to dwarftown, and then I think... OK, what do I do now? I could push down to the wall of fire, with luck, and clear the pyramid. But the time between dwarftown and being strong enough to tacking the ToEF is kind of boring. And like I already mentioned, reaching Kherab is not always possible unless I luck into a good weapon.

10-20-2017 05:02 PM
Giving a tentative 'yes' for new content available for CK and chaotics in general. I don't support the idea making them easy to change alignment.

10-20-2017 05:15 PM
Like ixi, I say creating more low-level chaotic content is a good idea anyway, the alignment change is something that makes total sense to be difficult.

02-21-2018 08:13 PM
Bouncing this one up in hopes of getting at least some more content to CKs (and please allow those ratling traders and make you start C). They are now so badly limited that it's not even fun to play.

+ Reply