Toggle Pet Behaviour
issueid=4371 08-07-2016 11:08 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by pblack: 7
Toggle Pet Behaviour
A toggle key to swtich between pet behaviour patterns

Pets are usually more of a nuisance than anything due to the number of keys needed to command them.

My suggestions:

1) Establish a way to command a pet to always act as "meatshield" in corridors. This is usually the best way to walk with a pet (specially with 7lbs) and they always auto-switch places with you whenever they get a free tile to do so. Maybe a simple toggle between current behaviour and one that when you walk into a pet, it moves away from the hero, not towards it. This could probably make life easier when trying to bend a corridor turn with a pet as meatshield.

2) Without affecting the charisma system for pet obedience have some kind of easier control over them like a key to immediately command the closest pet to attack the closest enemy to your hero or to stay put. He might still not obey like usual, but the current: select pet -> select command -> select target is just very clunky and hard on the fingers for bards =P
Issue Details
Issue Number 4371
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version ADOM r67 (v2.2.1)
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 5
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

08-08-2016 08:59 AM
Voted yes for suggestion 2). The first one seems slightly risky for me - how is the pet supposed to know where you are turning in an intersection? It sounds like a need for further commanding. I have solved that by assigning a separate key '§' for swapping places. It's so much faster than ':s' that it practically solves the problem with pets being in the wrong place.

08-08-2016 02:11 PM
If there is an overhaul for the pet system I feel like Bards will become a much more friendly class to play in general. Voted yes.

08-08-2016 10:49 PM
I don't like suggestion 1 at all. It seem unnatural behavior. Don't think like TB designed companions for this purpose at all. Although I do use them this way, yeah. I don't even think that companions must be that happy by pushes. And the way it not affecting speed look like low-priority exploit, rather than intended feature.

Support for suggestion 2. Although I think companion control system needs massive redesign which would be the first proper implementation. I'd rather stick to suggestions from the 1st JellySlayer's comment from this RFE: http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=3937
It would really open much more potential for bards and necromancers.

Allow wasting using troll blood on companions too and they could become a real and cool aspect of the game.

08-09-2016 11:33 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by ixi
I don't like suggestion 1 at all. It seem unnatural behavior. Don't think like TB designed companions for this purpose at all. Although I do use them this way, yeah. I don't even think that companions must be that happy by pushes. And the way it not affecting speed look like low-priority exploit, rather than intended feature.

Support for suggestion 2. Although I think companion control system needs massive redesign which would be the first proper implementation. I'd rather stick to suggestions from the 1st JellySlayer's comment from this RFE: http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=3937
It would really open much more potential for bards and necromancers.

Allow wasting using troll blood on companions too and they could become a real and cool aspect of the game.
JellySlayer's suggestion is actually better than mine. I upvote that.

+ Reply