Gameplay change - remove piety cost for unanswered prayers
issueid=4580 10-30-2016 06:52 PM
Number of reported issues by SinsI: 41
Gameplay change - remove piety cost for unanswered prayers

There are many things you can pray for in ADOM - but as every attempt to do so reduces piety, players are loath to do it, so they experiment with them extremely rarely.
This is a substantional negative gameplay element, as players miss on all the interesting minor effects that they could've discovered otherwise.

I don't see any real reason for an unanswered prayer to reduce piety - so I suggest removing that cost altogether, and if you have a holy symbol equipped - to even generate a minor boost instead.
Issue Details
Issue Number 4580
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version ADOM 2.3.0 (r73)
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 0
Votes against this feature 6
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

10-30-2016 07:50 PM
Ancient Member
How would you go about intentionally pissing off your god then? In emergency situations, being able to curse an item or destroy your equipped items can be of value.

I also use this for self-dooming challenges...

I kind of like the idea of having a holy symbol equipped block (or at least reduce, depending on B/U/C status) the unanswered prayer penalty though.

10-31-2016 03:18 AM
Didn't you watch Bruce Allmighty? :) Unanswered prayers do annoy the god hence it makes a lot of sense for them to reduce piety.

10-31-2016 06:48 AM
Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer
How would you go about intentionally pissing off your god then? In emergency situations, being able to curse an item or destroy your equipped items can be of value.

I also use this for self-dooming challenges...

I kind of like the idea of having a holy symbol equipped block (or at least reduce, depending on B/U/C status) the unanswered prayer penalty though.
I'd do something to actually receive some help from the god.
I don't know what exactly - and that's the main reason for this RFE, as outside emergency healing and (pre)crowning I'm seriously unfamiliar with other miscellaneous things prayer can do, as experimenting is too expensive even if I don't receive any benefits.

Maybe you can do something like pray on some of the statues?
Or pray to detect hidden doors?
Or get something interesting for praying after entering a special message room?
There are myriads of other potential prayers that no one has ever discovered since they are so obscure and rare. Wiki and guidebooks are not supposed to be the main source of player's information! They should serve to help you refresh your memory, but not to spoil you.

10-31-2016 05:31 PM
Ancient Member
What if you pray and nothing happens, but an under-the-hood timer starts. If you pray again within 50 turns(also for no effect) your god starts getting annoyed that you keep bothering him.

So if you *want* to annoy your god - just keep on praying.
But if you just want to try something, you can experiment occasionally.

"Nothing happens"
"Nothing happens - but you feel your deity is displeased with you for asking so often"

+ Reply