Change the way eating works
issueid=1860 01-27-2013 05:29 AM
Number of reported issues by Dogbreath: 74
Change the way eating works
Update eating to make it more realistic

Basically, right now, if you are eating a corpse/food item that takes 20 turns to eat, and you're on turn 19 and get interrupted, you get *no* satiation value from that item, and the item remains intact. So basically, those are 19 wasted turns, and you're left just as hungry.

Now this is something I've wanted to suggest for a while, and I know it may be rejected simply because it's not very easy to implement, but I figure I'd give it a shot.

Make eating something that happens on a turn-by-turn basis. So if you start eating, say, a large dog corpse, and it takes 10 turns to eat, and you are able to eat for 3 turns before interruption, add 3/10th of the satiation value to the PC (rounding to the nearest integer, naturally), change the name of the corpse to "large dog corpse (partially eaten)", and add flag the item as having 7/10th of the nutritional value and 7/10th the weight of that normal item.

Some things to consider:
1) Make it so that items only grant any special effects when completely eaten. I.e, to get the Strength bonus from a Fire Giant King corpse, you have to eat the entire thing. You can eat it partially, but you won't get the bonus until you finish the corpse, and if it rots before you get the chance, your loss. (this is to prevent scumming)
2) Make some items (like stomafilla) an "all or nothing" deal - where getting interrupted would destroy it.

Anything else? I think this would help make the game a lot more fun to play.
Issue Details
Issue Number 1860
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Windows 7
Status Suggested
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 11
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 2
Votes against this feature 5
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

01-27-2013 06:06 AM
Ancient Member
As you mention, this might be one of those harder to implement/"better left for ADOM II" thingies, but personally I like it.

01-27-2013 06:55 AM
looks a bit too complicated, think I read from somewhere that the time to consume something varies by the satiation the food gives?yes/no? if it is I think it would be more meaningful to change it to be varied by the weight of the food.
Maybe the current way of eating is about the player stuffing the whole corpse to his mouth and on the last turn swallowing..

01-27-2013 07:47 AM
Maybe for drakelings it is?

I'm not holding my breath hoping for this to happen, but I figure it's worth having out there, if only to inspire ADOM II. And who knows? Maybe the way food currently works is a bug. ;)

01-27-2013 10:01 AM
This wouldn't be such an issue if it wasn't so eminently possible to go from hungry to starving in mid-combat...

01-27-2013 10:12 AM
Ancient Member
Nothing takes that long to eat in combat, so I don't see it as an issue. And the whole point is you're supposed to manage hunger intelligently. Snacking between blows makes no sense.

If you're getting to Starving in combat then you're not planning ahead correctly and likely not managing your burden status well.

01-27-2013 04:16 PM
Ancient Member
There is no need for this since you can continue eating while being attacked.

01-27-2013 05:41 PM
No *need* maybe, but why should you go from eating none of something to eating all of it in 1 turn? What are you doing for those other 19 turns?

01-27-2013 05:56 PM
Ancient Member
What the hell takes 19 turns to eat?

01-27-2013 06:03 PM
Ancient Member
I think you're exaggerating a bit. I don't think I've ever broken off eating to fight something (maybe if an orb guardian caught up with me?). Also, as Grey notes, nothing really takes that long to eat. Large rations & iron rations only take like 4 turns to eat. I can't imagine it's that different for other common foodstuffs like corpses and cooked lizard. Stoma takes like 10 turns, I think, which I would imagine is the max.

edit: oh wait, I did break off eating when fighting the Eternal Guardian once. I thought stoma would take just a few turns to eat and kept eating it, but I had to eventually stop or risk being killed. That's the only one I really remember though.

+ Reply