[RFE] character equipment enhancement
issueid=3376 10-30-2014 09:12 AM
Number of reported issues by theseus12: 32
[RFE] character equipment enhancement

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the new feature of the character actually wielding what he is wielding. At the same time, I noticed it could be improved on.

For the sake of running through the game as quickly as possible (and getting as far as I can as well), I set the game on stuff like easy monster difficulty, high treasure rates. Corruption and Hunger are still on though. Yeah. Hate me for being chumpy. This was for business like finding issues. So far, the game has run beautifully except for one point concerning kobold shamans slowing the game slightly when they cast spells. but I'm not going to discuss that.

I beat the Arena, and get the golden gladius, and equip it. I later find a crystal shield, and equip IT. THAT'S when I notice something. My guy has a medium crystal shield equipped, but on the character, it only looks like a regular medium shield. And the Golden Gladius? Just a sword. See what I'm getting at? My RFE is that on the character, when he has a crystal shield equipped, he is holding a crystal shield in his tile. Don't get me wrong, I get it. This will probably mean SUPER COMPLICATED CODING or something. IDK. This is purely a visual bit and, while unnecessary gameplay wise, would really help with the aesthetic feel of the game. At least, it would in my opinion.

Also, while we're on the subject of character equipment graphics, are you guys working on doing the same thing for armor? I'm wearing scale mail but it looks like I'm wearing a robe...

EDIT: Just noticed you guys might be doing SOMETHING on the armor front. I'm wearing a cloak I have equipped, for example.
Issue Details
Issue Number 3376
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All with NotEye
Status Suggested
Priority 6
Suggested Version ADOM r52
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 1
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

10-30-2014 10:33 AM
Ancient Member
Armors: currently are class-based. So a priest always gets the robe. Rogue always has leather on. If you guys prefer, we can change that to depend on what armor you're wearing - "light/medium/heavy". But that's about it.
Might add a "no clothes" version for each race, it's useful to know when your armor is destroyed, after all. Maybe some sort of helmet for the same purpose, but that's actually quite a bit of work too.

More weapons: before Steam - no.

Don't get me wrong, we love to add more stuff like this :) It's super fun! But the humongous number of items that would have to be covered is holding us back. More important to finish interface stuff first, for example.

Still - it's a possibility. If Steam launch goes well :)

10-30-2014 10:36 AM
I see. I love the possibility of it, but at the same time, I can understand that it may be a bit much. Take your time, if you decide to go with it.

10-30-2014 03:11 PM
I'd be really hopeful to see this implemented. I could help provide assets, if needed. I've already done some editing of character images in adom, but I assume the ideal final solution to this issue will be modular player graphics...

10-30-2014 03:55 PM
Same. However, I realize that before you can make a beautiful sword, tricked out with all the fancy graphics, you gotta do the ugly system work, and work out kinks in gameplay first. Game creation is an act of smithing of it's own. You start with some raw material data, and then you gotta hammer it into a crude bar of coding and steel. Temper the blade to find bug fixes and get RFE's. Hammer some more. Temper. Repeat until satisfied with end product. Then you take it, and sharpen it with fancy shmancy user interfaces, decorate the hilt and pommel with beautiful graphics and animations. Polish the blade of code a bit, and voila, you have the Golden Gladius, ADOM Deluxe.

...I certainly seem pretty good at making analogies on what coding is like, for someone who knows next to nothing about coding...

11-02-2014 12:33 PM
The Creator
It probably will happen at some point. Ideally at that point all character equipment choices will be mirrored in the image. And you will be able to buy custom character profiles (e.g. special looks, etc.) ;-) ;-D (just kidding, no real plans for that but who knows). But we can't do it before we are on Steam and more revenue is generated. This is far beyond our current possibilities.

+ Reply