[RFE] New (hidden) profession - Dark Elven Priestess
issueid=3374 10-29-2014 05:53 PM
Number of reported issues by emilus: 48
[RFE] New (hidden) profession - Dark Elven Priestess

Let me introduce my idea for new playable race/class.

I admit that we have possibility of creating Dark elf Priest(ess?) which is just plain clerical spellcaster.

But imagine:
"..when we will choose Female Dark elf Priest and previously we roll month RAVEN on friday 13'th we can play hidden evil/sinister version of priestess..."

Evil Dark Elven Priestess. (which is melee oriented ! - read the description below)"

Picture for interest :

Description:

"A dark elf with spider emblems covering her skin and clothing. The elves of the underground have long worshipped the spider Goddess, and so her priestesses, dark in heart as in skin, keep Her servants close in body as well as heart"
"A priestess of the spider goddess, she can call upon aid to the arachnids. The ceremonial robe is caked with blood, for her cult constantly requires sacrifices, and the priestesses are also taught in the arts of battle."

I was inspired by powerfull mid game 'summoner monster/npc' dark elven priestess from ADOM...and that surely need fine tuning / balance)

Below are some suggested skills and class powers / abilities.:

Abilities:

a) bonuses:

- Priestess need less marks to increase a dagger & knives weaponskill
- Each Character level increase critical hit chance when using daggers or knives (0.5 * current character level rounded down).
- Martial arts bonuses: Priestess get increases in speed and DV upon raising certain numbers of levels.
- Heir gift: blood-stained robe [+0, +5] {Ap-5}, eternium dagger of penetration

b) penalties:

- Priestess need constantly make sacrifices to satisfy diety (slow but constant piety lose after 'N' turns/days/corruption levels? counting from last successfull sacrifice)
- Priestess can only invoke or benefit from their class powers whilst their deity is very pleased or happier with them.
- Priestess need 50% more marks to increase a weaponskill (for all weapon categories except daggers 'n' knives).
- Priestess face huge difficulties learning offensive spells (almost impossible to learn). (bolts/missiles/balls/rays)

Class Powers:

Level 6: Can use 'fury / rage' that give additional bonus hit when fighting unarmed or while wielding daggers at cost of 1.5 x base energy.
Level 12: Gains paralyzation resistance
Level 18: Base movement energy cost is reduced to 700.
Level 25: Gains the power to summon 2d2 major venomous spiders (tarantulas, giant spiders, etc.), for the cost of one Mana point. This also trains Mana, though (similarly to necromancy).
Level 32: Piety cost of prayers are reduced by half
Level 40: Each melee attack has a small chance of paralyzing any humanoid.
Level 50: Level 50: Gains +6 to both Dexterity and Toughness

Suggested class specific skills:

athletics
dodge
concentration
detect item status
first aid
herbalism
two weapon combat
listening
and 1 random skill (gardening or music)

(chaotic priestess starts with no literacy)

feel free to comment.
Issue Details
Issue Number 3374
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 10 - Lowest
Suggested Version ADOM r52
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 0
Votes against this feature 8
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

10-29-2014 06:09 PM
Ancient Member
I'm a little confused as to why a DE priestess would be basically the same as a beastfighter (except better). And what's wrong with DE priestesses as they currently are?

10-29-2014 06:15 PM
Currently female/male DE priests are boring weak clerical spellcasters... from description of DE priestess monster memory you can read that they are melee oriented and that is lot more interesting to play than current DE priest... Also I think that summoning spiders and ability to paralyze in late/mid game is cool :) You dont like it ... ok I am cool with it :)

10-29-2014 06:42 PM
I didn't mean to replace current DE priestess with new but to add possibility to choose dark/evil more melee oriented version :)

10-29-2014 10:23 PM
There are already two unarmed roles and this doesn't really seem to do much that isn't already covered.

10-30-2014 05:16 AM
We have already different version of necromancers (black and white) that depend on race and alignment why not having different kind of priestesses ? Sinister(evil/chaotic) for dark elves and Clerical(good) for the rest ?
Its not all about cold mechanic... but about feeling / atmosphere and gamplay... So what that we have already unarmed roles ? We have already plenty of races / professions but is not the point. Imagine possibilities and strategies. Use imagination...

10-30-2014 07:20 AM
I have changed class powers a bit to be more distinctive from beastfighter/monk.

10-30-2014 07:22 AM
All that need to be finally tweaked / balanced I am not The Creator. And I am waiting for His opinion...

10-30-2014 07:31 AM
I'm kind of on the fence, leaning towards no.
If I want a Dark Elf priestess, all I do is female, dark elf, and then priest.

And at the same time, I don't see how this class would work for any of the other races. One thing I like about the professions is that they can be used with any race. To make such a race specific class seems, to me, a little unbalanced.

This was well written, in terms of benefits/penalties/class benefits/level up perks, but overall, I don't think that having this implemented, even as a hidden feature, would do well for ADOM overall.
So, Imma vote no.

10-30-2014 07:40 AM
Thanks for your opinion Theseus12 :)

10-30-2014 07:46 AM
Now they just sound like worse assassins, and I don't think most people are going to want to return to a co-aligned altar all the time, that just sounds like pure tedium.

10-30-2014 08:19 AM
Quote Originally Posted by heavensblade23
Now they just sound like worse assassins, and I don't think most people are going to want to return to a co-aligned altar all the time, that just sounds like pure tedium.
=> Thank you for your opinion. God bless you. What about piety loss after 30 days or more or something else like corruption level decreasing piety ? Maybe you will suggest somethinng else eg: more distinctive powers for that class or try to balance things a bit ? :)

If you generally dont like idea for evil dark elven priestess its ok, you will be no forced to play it (Old Female DE priest could still be avaliable as I stated before).

10-30-2014 08:35 PM
Well, it's your RFE. If I had any good ideas for races or professions to add I'd have already submitted them. :) Given the amount of options already in the game it's quite hard to think of a new role that's balanced and isn't too similar to something that already exists.

+ Reply