Corruption resistance for Hurtling
issueid=4896 08-21-2017 03:19 PM
Number of reported issues by Prom: 1
Corruption resistance for Hurtling

Hurtling are a race modeled after certain creatures: They dislike shoes, they are small, strong-willed, they start with a cursed ring! They like gardening and cooking

There is one feature I wish they had: Corruption resistance. One ability that Frodo, Bilbo, Sam had was that they were simple folks that could resist the corrupting influence of the powerful artifact they carried. A feat that Gandalf himself was unable to do.

Corruption resistance is already part of the game through star signs, appearance, and even classes like farmer.

I feel it would be thematically appropriate to grant Hurtling the highest corruption resistance of all races, and that they should outperform the high appearance races. More to the point, Hurtling are not overpowered by any means.
Issue Details
Issue Number 4896
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority Unknown
Suggested Version ADOM 2.3.0 (r73)
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 2
Votes against this feature 9
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

08-23-2017 12:09 PM
It fits, but Hurthlings are already a very strong race with a good thematic draw to several classes; they don't need any buffing.

08-25-2017 09:52 AM
They were able to resist corruption not because they're hurtlings. Gollum can serve as a proof - he didn't manage to resist at all.

08-26-2017 12:26 AM
Quote Originally Posted by ixi
They were able to resist corruption not because they're hurtlings. Gollum can serve as a proof - he didn't manage to resist at all.

Gollum was able to resist the ring far longer than most other creatures. He was able to possess the ring for centuries without being turned into a ringwraith. According to Gandalf, he had high resistance specificically because he was a hobbit.

Here is what Gandalf says in the fellowship of the ring about Gollum's resistance to the ring:
Only too true, I fear,’ said Gandalf. ‘But there was something else in it, I think, which you don’t see yet. Even Gollum was not wholly ruined. He had proved tougher than even one of the Wise would have guessed -as a hobbit might.

08-26-2017 05:07 AM
Ancient Member
If I remember correctly, hobbits were only resistant due to their simplicity. The more power a ring bearer had the faster they became corrupted. I mean look at gollum, all he wanted was some fisssssssshies... for like a thousand years.

08-27-2017 07:52 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Blank4u47
If I remember correctly, hobbits were only resistant due to their simplicity.

Mostly correct. Hobbits were simple people without desire for material power.

Quote Originally Posted by Blank4u47
The more power a ring bearer had the faster they became corrupted.
I disagree. The more inherent power a ring bear had, the more power the ring would give him. (Not the faster they would become corrupted.) The more desire for material power the ring had, the faster the bearer would be corrupted.

Case in point, men were corrupted by rings of power the fastest, yet were not the most powerful. Why? Because they craved for power.
Elves stopped wearing their rings, because they were wise and knew that Sauron wanted to control them. Yet Elves would have gained more power from rings.

+ Reply