letters wrongly offset
issueid=5974 01-30-2018 03:18 AM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by auricbond: 264
letters wrongly offset

On level up I picked the letter option for dodge and it kept raising first aid instead. It seemed to apply to all the selections from what little I experienced of it, i.e. it would pick the option two slots lower.
Issue Details
Issue Number 5974
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Fixed
Priority 3
Affected Version ADOM 3.0.6
Fixed Version ADOM 3.1.3
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 0
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

01-30-2018 11:08 AM
Administrator
Did you use the mouse or pressed the letter? Was it the NotEye version or the ASCII version?

01-30-2018 12:35 PM
Ancient Member
I pressed the corresponding key. Noteye version.

01-30-2018 01:06 PM
Administrator
Can you reproduce it? Does it happen for a specific character (race/class combination)? Do you have a save game that I could use to reproduce this? So far everything seems fine to me.

I've tested this with both "Sorted_Skills" true and false.

This sounds similar to issue 5256, but that was fixed in version 2.3.5.

01-30-2018 02:22 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by jt
Can you reproduce it? Does it happen for a specific character (race/class combination)? Do you have a save game that I could use to reproduce this? So far everything seems fine to me.

I've tested this with both "Sorted_Skills" true and false.

This sounds similar to issue 5256, but that was fixed in version 2.3.5.
The save file is gone. It was a ratling assassin. I'll look out for it happening in future.

02-04-2018 01:31 PM
Ancient Member
It just happened again. I've committed a few more turns though. My last attempt to upload a savefile was unsuccessful; it said the file was too large, and when i tarballed it it said forbidden filetype or something to that effect.

03-20-2018 05:46 PM
Ancient Member
Happened again. :( My attempt to raise herbalism ended up raising something else (didn't see what).

03-20-2018 06:00 PM
Administrator
Could you please upload the save game? It's probably best to "zip" it.

03-20-2018 06:15 PM
Ancient Member
Okay. I noticed the letters were not offset until I pressed 'pgdwn' and then selecting herbalism didn't raise the skill.

03-20-2018 06:19 PM
Ancient Member
I've attached the file. This is just after the dodgy level-up.

03-20-2018 06:20 PM
Ancient Member
Oh brilliant. "You feel as if you have run out of luck." when I reloaded my game!! Why would that happen? All I did was archive it. Maybe the 'out of luck' persists on your end as well, if it's a property of the save-file. I don't suppose you could fix it to the pre-luck-run-out state?

03-21-2018 08:17 AM
Administrator
Sorry, I don't think there is an easy way to fix the "out of luck" state. What about the ".bak" or the ".au1"/".au5" files? Are there any of those in the saved games folder?

03-21-2018 09:09 AM
Ancient Member
Not anymore. Is it 'out of luck' your end too? Maybe the offset issue is what corrupted the savefile.

03-21-2018 09:31 AM
Administrator
Well, at least I now could understand the problem. If you press "pgdown", the skill list moves around in ASCII mode and the letters are now wrong in NotEye mode. :/

03-21-2018 10:00 AM
Administrator
No, the offset problem just increased the wrong skill. I'm not sure why your saved game got corrupted, there must be a different reason for that.

03-21-2018 10:00 AM
Administrator
Fixed.

03-21-2018 10:50 AM
Ancient Member
No, the offset problem just increased the wrong skill. I'm not sure why your saved game got corrupted, there must be a different reason for that.
is it worth uploading a separate issue for it?

03-21-2018 11:54 AM
Administrator
No, but I would recommend checking your hard drive and RAM for errors. Do you have any working backups of the saved game?

03-21-2018 12:02 PM
Ancient Member
No, but I would recommend checking your hard drive and RAM for errors. Do you have any working backups of the saved game?
I think my sd card that I save to is fine. Literally all I did was save and then restore the game. As far as I know there are no backups except that archive I uploaded. Is it only on a failed checksum that the 'out of luck' occurs or can it occur in other circumstances?

03-21-2018 12:12 PM
Administrator
Well, there is the ".bak" backup saved game and maybe files with the ending ".au1" to ".au5". All those are saved games.

The main reason for the failed checksum (that I know) is that the file got corrupted on the drive, so that the checksum doesn't match after loading it again. Of course there may be other reasons (like the mentioned bad RAM or drive). Does this occur often or was it the first time you encountered this?

03-21-2018 12:14 PM
Ancient Member
First time ever.

+ Reply