[RFE] Monster Difficulty and Experience Corresponding
issueid=3377 10-30-2014 11:23 AM
Number of reported issues by theseus12: 32
[RFE] Monster Difficulty and Experience Corresponding

Wow, I've posted a few RFE's today, huh.

Seeing as we can now toggle difficulty for monsters, I was thinking that, in addition to toggling difficulty toggling score modifier, it should also toggle how much experience you get from monsters, less experience at lower difficulty, more at higher, respectively.
Issue Details
Issue Number 3377
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Rejected
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version ADOM r52
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 0
Votes against this feature 3
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

10-30-2014 11:31 AM
less experience for lower difficulty ? You mean when I want to play on easy i will get less xp from monsters ?

10-30-2014 11:33 AM
Basically, yes. If you play on hard, you get more xp. Risk corresponds with reward.

EDIT: And seeing as we can control treasure drops, that's a factor we're not touching on here.

10-30-2014 12:20 PM
i think less xp from monsters = slower leveling and that means boring/tedious game for newcomers...

10-30-2014 10:16 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by emilus
i think less xp from monsters = slower leveling and that means boring/tedious game for newcomers...
Giving less XP also makes the game harder, which can offset the weaker monsters, thus defeating part of the purpose of setting the game on "easy" in the first place.

10-30-2014 11:34 PM
I agree with the recent comments -- if less experience is being gained, more kills will be required to advance, thus the game becomes harder. (And the speed of levelling changes, which is not what they asked for.)

The way Thomas has done the various game options, where it's only the final score that is modified, is ideal. It ensures that once the player feels they can handle easy monsters, and moves up to normal-difficulty monsters, they won't find other aspects of the game changing unexpectedly.

11-02-2014 01:30 PM
The Creator
I totally agree with the assessments regarding less experience counter-acting the intended simplification of playing.

+ Reply