Making archery more realistic
issueid=2849 04-20-2014 07:00 AM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Dlightfull: 9
Making archery more realistic
Archers should have quivers.

In every RPG game my preffered char is an Archer. I love them. Nowadays ADOM is the only RPG i play since no other game has the same debth and detail.

But... Archers should have quivers (pouches). This is imho mandatory for a game with such debth and lvl of detail. I was very surprised when i realised there is no such thing in ADOM.

Admitedly, this would also be the most elegant decision and the only logical one, imho, for the so much discussed lately missile problems. Only archers(and maybe assasins?) should start with a quiver (pouch), everyone else has to find them. They should be dropped not very frequent by mobs shooting respective missiles.

They would be equipped in missile slot (although you can be harsh and make them use the tool slot) and work as a container, so missiles would be put into them on player decision and picked up by PC randomly when shooting, just like in reality.

The PC can have as many quivers as he wants(finds) and he can put different missiles (BUC status or identified or not status shouldn't matter) in different quivers, the new implemented item notes helping sorting the quivers. PC can also put quarrels and missiles in the same quiver but getting the wrong missile for the equipped missile weapon should make PC lose a turn picking another missile from the quiver. Equipping another quiver or changing the missiles in the equipped one, should be done via inventory, as with every other piece of equipment, with the same implications, i.e. costing 1 turn.

Quivers could also have some chance for small DV and PV modifiers as well as chance for magical affixes. You could also make an artifact quiver.

Unlike missiles, cursed quivers cannot be unequipped, making the decision to use one more responsible, since you can not change from using sling to bow (crossbow) or the other way around(since you would need quiver for bows and crossbows and pouches for slings) in this case and also can't throw anything else, like potions, until you remove it. Gems can be put into and shot from pouch.

P.S. the idea is not so much to help with missile stacking, although it conveniently does so. The important thing about this feature is the realism and detail.
Issue Details
Issue Number 2849
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Rejected
Priority 3
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 22
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 3
Votes against this feature 3
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

04-20-2014 08:27 AM
The Creator
I wonder how a usable interface would look like for this (e.g. being able to juggle several quivers, move items between them, etc.). Additionally the internal changes are huge (basically you exchange one quiver slot in the inventory by an exchangeable set of quiver containers) - none of that ever has been planned for ADOM and there are probably hundreds of places in the game that needs changes. I'm still not convinced of this really being an advancement.

Alternative idea: Wouldn'it it be simpler (maybe) to introduce some mechanism to "bundle" missiles (like quick-marking). All missiles with the same bundle ID would be considered equal and the game just randomly would select the next set of missiles once one has been used up. What do you think about that?

04-20-2014 09:18 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by adom-admin
Alternative idea: Wouldn'it it be simpler (maybe) to introduce some mechanism to "bundle" missiles (like quick-marking). All missiles with the same bundle ID would be considered equal and the game just randomly would select the next set of missiles once one has been used up. What do you think about that?
That would be more than perfect, may I ask that it not only encompass missiles specifically. For example if I want to be a spear throwing hill orc, I might want to "bundle" all my spears, or a knife/dagger throwing assassin, I might want to bundle all my knifes and daggers, etc.

04-20-2014 09:37 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by adom-admin
I also think this would be great.

04-20-2014 12:59 PM
Ancient Member
Hmm, I think the bundling idea is good, but I think it can be improved further, as I proposed in another thread.

My idea would be to consider all missiles that differ only in their modifiers automatically bundled. All missiles that differ in other ways (status, prefixes) are not considered bundled.

The drawback is that this is a bit less generic. But it would greatly simplify both the implementation and the interface. In addition, it saves the player the hassle of having to bundle all new arrows that he finds.

And last but not least: this way it would also work on thrown daggers and other weapons.

P.S. Actually, I would like weapons and missiles with different poison status to remain in the same bundle, too.

04-20-2014 03:15 PM
Ancient Member
While grobblewobble's idea is not bad, I prefer the custom bundling. Most of the time I'd prefer to bundle missiles with different status, for example, and maybe different materials.

08-10-2017 10:53 PM

+ Reply