Alchemy - rebalancing
issueid=2333 09-11-2013 09:49 AM
Number of reported issues by kordi82: 3
Alchemy - rebalancing
Alchemy skill can be abused as unlimited source of fireballs and speed increase for certain characters

There are 2 problems right now with alchemy:
1. Using two herbs and alchemy a player can have unlimited access to fireballs once he gets proper shielding from the blast effect.
2. With the introduction of "Cold blood" corruption the player can boost his speed up to around 200 before anticipated tough battles. This is done by creating multiple herbal explosions just before the battle.

Both of these effect make the characters seriously overpowered. I was able to clear the whole Earth temple using nothing but herbal explosions. In conjunction with Cold Blood corruption this is particularly game breaking as there are a handful of monsters in the entire game that have their speed above 150 not to mention 200.

SOLUTION:
We discussed a bunch of solutions for this on general forum and the most balanced one is to remove the ability to mix two herbs together. If a player wants to create an explosion he has to sacrifice some potion. The player will be in possession of limited quantity of useless potions contrary to unlimited herbs. Seems clean, simple and easy to implement.
Issue Details
Issue Number 2333
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 4
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 16
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 13
Votes against this feature 3
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

09-11-2013 10:48 AM
Ancient Member
This solution does fit the best, as all recipes include a potion.

09-12-2013 04:32 AM
Ancient Member
This should be a feature request, rather than a bug report. But I totally agree with the proposal, it's a well-balanced solution.

01-14-2016 03:19 AM
Don't like this:
1. You can abuse the same results through other methods (and there are plenty of monsters immune to Fire)
2. This is the main interesting way of utilizing this skill at all (cause recipes are a bad joke that is very, very rarely even worth considering).

This would be the same as largely removing Alchemy from the gameplay.

As a better alternative I'd suggest to differentiate the properties of the resulting explosions based on the items mixed - i.e. a high DL potion results in an extremely powerful Fireball, while two herbs can result in an Acid Ball (that also damages player's equipment and the player), so getting only the Fire Immunity is not enough to completely prevent all the negative effects on the player and his inventory. If your chemical explosions are 50% Ice Balls and 50% Fireballs Cold Blood also balances out.

01-14-2016 08:46 AM
I like SinsI's idea of making fireball damage proportional to DL of ingredients, and randomizing the element.
I'd also like an expansion of alchemy in general, and the addition of an Alchemist class. :-)

01-14-2016 09:51 AM
Quote Originally Posted by BenMathiesen
I'd also like an expansion of alchemy in general, and the addition of an Alchemist class. :-)
There were two declined RFE about alchemy already: #2671 and #2627

+ Reply