Alignment impossible to see anywhere in current text-based builds
issueid=4713 03-29-2017 10:08 AM
Number of reported issues by sylph: 26

Hi folks,
I'm playing the text-based version of ADOM in linux, and I'm unable to see my alignment anywhere! It's not on the main display, and it's nowhere in any of the character information screens.
I can see which god I worship in the character info screen, but that's barely good enough. Even when I do know the difference between the one who rages and the one who kills, I still don't know how close I am to either!

Any chance we can get the little display that says 'N+' or whatever, back into the main game screen? Even if it's in the dynamic display section? It's hard to deal with not seeing alignment...

I'm rating this higher priorty than I normally report issues because it really, seriously affects gameplay.
Issue Details
Issue Number 4713
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Linux
Status Unconfirmed
Priority 2
Affected Version ADOM 2.3.0 (r73)
Fixed Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 0
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

03-29-2017 10:24 AM
Ancient Member
Can't reproduce... maybe add screenshot so some of us could understand actual setting you use.

03-30-2017 01:25 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Soirana
Can't reproduce... maybe add screenshot so some of us could understand actual setting you use.

03-30-2017 05:04 PM
Ancient Member
What release version are you playing on (I imagine it's not r73 as indicated on the report)?

That screenshot has a lot of things wrong with it. The layout of Dwarftown itself is different than usual - there are six spaces instead of seven between the temple and the mystic's room, 13 instead of 14 between the shop and Thrundarr's house, 17 instead of 19 between the inn and the east wall, and 14 instead of 16 between the smithy and the east wall - all in all, Dwarftown is three spaces narrower than it should be. Normally, Alignment should be one space of right of Perception, and for this level/exp combo there should be five spaces instead of two between the experience value and "D: 10". It sort of looks like ADOM is being played in a terminal that is narrower than should be allowed.

03-30-2017 06:06 PM
Ancient Member
Is it on default console (rows/columns) size?

03-31-2017 09:26 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Soirana
Is it on default console (rows/columns) size?
It's the minimum supported size : 25x77

03-31-2017 05:38 PM
Ancient Member
Well, there you go: the default size is 25x80. At 77 columns, there's one too few to show the full alignment on the first line.

04-03-2017 11:32 PM
Out of curiosity, is there any reason it is being played at in 77x25 instead of 80x25? I don't want to say "the solution is to play it at 80x25" .. I know the ADOM UI is scale-able. But with two whole UI's (ASCII and NotEye) and varied layouts to code now, and the default for both being 80x25, I wonder if that's not a reasonable minimum to set for future iterations of ADOM? IMHO, that would make the layout code a lot simpler.

Is there anything out there that can't stretch to an 80x25 minimum? Personally, from my programmer-who's-never-programmed-a-line-of-code-in-ADOM opinion, I'd rather avoid having to account for 77, 78, and 79 column layouts and stick with 80 as the standard and the minimum. But if there's a reason to play at lower resolutions I'm keen to hear it.

+ Reply